32. Detention

"Miss Potter." Professor said as he looked at us over his papers.

I heard Harry sigh in relief before sending me an apologetic look.

"Yes, professor?" I said as I walked over to his desk.

He looked at me for a moment before drawling out: "You were adequate today. You did better than I expected with the potion."

"Sir, it was nearly flawless." I say, surprised that he had the guts to call my work adequate. The word stung on my tongue.

"Exactly; nearly. We strive for perfection in this class and if you had focused in the job and what I said your potion would have been flawless as you say. It is a waste of talent if you mess up because of... Your laziness." His voice was deep yet dry and briefly I wondered if he had even drank anything today or eaten. He wasn't at the teacher's table during breakfast.

"Sorry professor. I will focus more and do better next time." I promise.

"Good. Now leave."

Harry had already gone to lunch with Ron and I was annoyed as I sat down next to them: "He called my potion adequate." I cringed and watched as Ron accidentally spit his drink out.

"Adequate? Really? The only one with a better potion than you was Malfoy." Ron said. "Wait, why am I surprised he does things like this all the time. At least you got a positive word. All I've ever been told is: horrible, abysmal, dreadful and repugnant. I don't even know what repugnant means! I think it might be a positive thing though because at the time my potion was yellow when it should have been green which is a lot closer than at the time when my potion was blue."

I cringed at Ron's words and shook my head. "No? Not good?" Ron whined. I shook my head once more. "Damn, and I've been telling everyone he actually complimented me."

'At least Ron is completely the same in this time as in the future.' I happily thought and focused on eating.

I wasn't happy for long though. Umbridge walked over to me and with a sly smile reminded me that my detention would be today. I nodded and told her that I knew how to look at the clock and had a better memory than a goldfish and so I could remember just fine and that she was wasting both my time and hers trying to annoy me.

And I got another detention...

I didn't really care until I looked over at Harry as he grasped my hand and Umbridge walked away: "That sucks Selenia. i don't get why she is being this awful to you. At least to me she has a reason. She thinks I'm lying."

I smile and look down to his hand and in horror suddenly remembered something I had forgotten till now. Harry's hand was smooth; unscarred.

And I remembered being small and asking why he had I must not tell lies written on his skin with tiny scars.

"I got these years ago in school when I stood up to a teacher that was a bully. She called me a liar and this was my punishment." He'd told me and I immediately attach the teacher to Umbridge. I knew it must not have been Snape since I doubt he would have named his son that if it was. And I didn't know of any other teacher that would hate her from this year on.

"Shit." I mumble in shock and wonder what she's going to carve into my skin. Maybe I must not be the chosen one's cousin? Or I must not defend my cousin.

"What?" Harry asks, rising his brows.

"Nothing, it's all fine." I tell him and in horror start waiting for my detention. I was glazed over n divination and didn't speak a word in defense against the dark arts. I didn't even realize Harry had endured a shouting match with Dolores and gotten detention until we left the class and she started complaining about her.