six

December 16th, 1987 -- Cambridge, MA7:42 PM, EST

7:42 PM, EST

"You've got to be kidding me, Shelby. Not even a little?" Donna questioned as she futzed over the redhead's eyeshadow.

"No, Donna. We go to a school with such a high male density, and you really think I can't just be friends with a boy? If I was interested in every boy I was friends with, I'd have a lot of boys on my mind." Shelby laughed.

"Okay, okay." Donna nodded, putting her hands up. "And you don't have to remind me." She groaned. "It's hard enough for the boys to find a girl to go out with them ... much less those of us that like a little girl-on-girl action."

"One more semester, then you can escape all this testosterone, Don." Shelby laughed.

"Finally." Donna sighed with a smirk. "An escape from this masculine circus."

"Oh, please. You're still going to miss it." Shelby stated.

"Well, of course I will. Especially you and Lisa. You've got NASA, and Lisa is dead set on moving out to California. What am I going to do?" Donna sighed.

"New York, remember?" Shelby laughed.

"Right, New York. There's no way I'm going back home." Donna said, shoving her makeup brushes back inside her kit.

Donna was from a small-minded town in Ohio that didn't think much of anyone that wasn't straight, white, and a male. Donna happened to be none of those things. The fact that she was going to school to be an engineer, which was a field heavily dominated by these straight white men, didn't help her reputation in her hometown, either.

"You could always come down to Florida with me." Shelby suggested with a grin.

Donna laughed. "Oh yes, my hair would do lovely in that humidity. You're going to have a hard enough time managing this." She said, flicking one of Shelby's red strands.

"I know." Shelby agreed, standing as she inspected herself in the mirror. Her red waves were beautifully managed, and Donna had brushed on some pretty eyeshadow. Her lips were painted with a light pink gloss. She felt pretty, and confident, but not entirely her. "Wow, Dons ... you really did a number on me." She said with a laugh as she spun around in the little black dress, tights, and heels she'd borrowed from Lisa.

"You're welcome." Donna said with a smirk, running a hand through her short, dark locks. "First stop, Tony Stark's party. Next stop, NASA."

"NASA." Shelby sighed with grin as she flopped down onto her bed. "I still can't believe it."

"You deserve it." Donna stated, plopping down on the bed next to her. "You've worked so hard for everything, Shelbs. And NASA is your dream."

"That it is." Shelby agreed as she stared up at the ceiling, which was covered in pictures of space and the night sky that she had cut out of magazines. It was probably breaking some sort of fire code, but their landlord had never come up to look at Shelby's room.