eleven

December 22nd, 1987 -- Cambridge, MA5:45 PM, EST

5:45 PM, EST

Shelby thanked Donna for dropping her off at the boys' house before stepping out of the car. As she looked up at the house, she thought of all that had changed since the first time she stepped foot inside. What would her life had been like if she hadn't let Lisa and Donna drag her to that party? Certainly it would be less exciting. She couldn't imagine her life without Tony in it now. He was her best friend.

She walked up to the door and knocked, then took a step back. She could see that the light was on in the kitchen but she didn't know who was in there. She didn't want to barge in.

The door opened and Shelby was suddenly looking into the chocolatey brown eyes of Rob Everett, and her stomach did a little butterfly dance. He was so handsome.

"Hey, Robbo." She grinned, swinging her backpack off of her shoulders as he let her into the house.

"Shelsby." He smirked at her as he took her backpack and set it on the coffee table in the living room. "Hear you have a big circuits exam tomorrow. I'm sure you'll crush it." He said with a wink.

"Well, my professor is dead set on failing me because I'm an outspoken female engineer, but considering I've aced every one of his quizzes and assignments, I kind of doubt he'll succeed." She said with a grin as she followed the boy into the kitchen.

She looked over and saw Tony filling the table with food. "Housewife looks good on you, Stark." She teased. "It's about time you men start earning your place around here."

Tony chuckled and met Shelby's eyes. "Well, what else are we supposed to do when you women keep trying to steal all our masculine careers?"

Shelby laughed and shrugged then took a seat at the table so that she'd be situated between Tony and Robbo, the only two from the house she was actually acquainted with.

"Are you ready to head home?" She asked the latter of the two.

"Yeah, I'm all packed. Headed out in the morning." He said with a sigh. "My mom's been baking cookies all week in anticipation of my arrival."

"That must be nice." Shelby stated with a smile. She wondered how her gran had been preparing for Shelby's homecoming. The two had gotten along splendidly for Shelby's entire life until the girl had decided she wanted to become an engineer. Despite her intellect, her grandmother had expected her to maybe become a teacher, and then a housewife.

Shelby would sooner eat her own vomit than become strictly a housewife.

"Yeah, she makes the best cookies. My offer still stands, if you want to come visit Salem over break." Rob said with a grin.