twenty

February 15th, 1988 — Cambridge, MA3:20 PM, EST

3:20 PM, EST

The three girls stood in a circle peering down at the rose, still inclosed in it's yellow box, that rested on the kitchen table.

"Who's is it?" Donna asked. A day later and they still hadn't been able to pinpoint the secret admirer, and who he or she had been admiring.

"Maybe it's the barista at the coffee shop you think is cute, Don." Shelby suggested.

Donna shook her head. "She doesn't know where I live." She said with a frown, then turned to their blonde friend. "What about your lab partner, Lise?"

"Jeffrey?" Lisa groaned. "God, I hope not. But he does know our address." She admitted, glaring down at the box. "And you're 100% certain it wasn't Robbo, Shelby?"

The redhead nodded. "He would have admitted it, and I told him not to get me flowers."

"Then it must be Jeffrey." Donna said, smirking at Lisa.

The blonde groaned and shoved the box across the table. "I thought he had a girlfriend that went to Harvard!"

"So then it wasn't Jeffrey." Shelby stated, crossing her arms as she stared down at the box.

It seemed that the friends had a real mystery on their hands.

They continued to stare in silence at the box until the phone rang, interrupting them. Shelby stalked off to answer it.

"Hello?" She said cautiously into the device.

"Hello, I'm trying to reach Shelby Colewell?" The man on the other line responded.

A nervous feeling settled into the pit of her stomach. "That's, um, me, actually." Was something wrong? Was it her father? Her grandmother? As much as she hated the both of them, she was still concerned with their overall aliveness.

"Hi, Miss Colewell. My name is Joe Feldstein, I'm a head engineer at NASA. I'll be your supervisor when you arrive here in the spring. I just wanted to give you a call and introduce myself."

Shelby's mouth fell open. Joe Feldstein was going to be her boss? She could hardly believe it. Joe's team was always the best of the best, and she was going to be a part of it?

"Well, it's great to meet you. I mean, not meet you, but ... well, you know. Speak with you." She stuttered, mentally cursing herself for being so jumpy.

"Likewise. I've heard some very impressive things about you from your time up in Boston. I look forward to having you on the team. It will be nice to get some new blood down here." Joe told her.