thirty

January 8th, 1990 — Cape Canaveral, FL 7:09 PM, EST

7:09 PM, EST

Shelby hadn't been on a date since college.

She remembered the night of her last date almost perfectly. The good French food, the handsome boy that held her hand and made her feel special on Valentine's Day ...

Of course, her relationship with Robbo was practically a distant memory now. Dinner that night with Adam would be her first true "adult" date.

Thankfully, Shelby and her roommate were the same dress size, and since Maggie went on lots of dates with lots of different types of men (and women), the two girls were able to piece together the perfect outfit for her night with Adam.

"C'est magnifique, as the French would say." Maggie stated as she studied Shelby's outfit with what only could be described as a scientific eye.

"Mags, do you even speak French?" Shelby asked as she settled into her vanity chair.

"No," Maggie admitted. "But I dated a French foreign exchange student in high school, and I think that is a positive exclamation of some kind."

Shelby sighed and rolled her eyes as she quickly fixed her makeup. One quick look at the clock on her wall told her that Adam would be arriving in five or so minutes.

"Is it weird that I'm nervous?" Shelby asked, turning towards Maggie.

"No, sweet cheeks, nervousness is a perfectly normal reaction to a date with a hot guy, especially one with an English accent. Especially one that you've had a, dare I say, crush, on for like, months." Maggie teased.

Shelby sighed and ran a nervous hand through her red curls. "It's just ... he's the kind of man that every girl pines over. Why would he ask me out? I mean, you should see the way the female receptionists act around him, Mags! It's embarrassing to woman-kind everywhere."

"Well, you see why he picked you then, right?" Maggie asked, to which Shelby shook her head. "For starters, this, obviously." She teased, plucking one of Shelby's red curls. "Secondly, this big brain of yours." Maggie stated, flicking the center of Shelby's forehead. "And for third, I would say, the fact that you know how to play it cool."

The intercom to the girls' apartment buzzed, and Maggie walked over to answer it.

"She'll be right down, James Bond." Maggie called out over the intercom, to which Shelby stifled a laugh.

Adam would make a good James Bond, Shelby supposed, except for the fact that the young doctor had a wildly better respect for women.