twenty eight

January 8th, 1990 — Cape Canaveral, FL7:34 AM, EST

7:34 AM, EST

Shelby didn't mind winter, not in Florida.

Back in Boston, or even in New Hampshire, the weather in January was cold and dreary and altogether not desirable.

But in Cape Canaveral on a dreary January day, it was a hot 84 degrees Fahrenheit and Shelby was having the time of her life.

She'd been at NASA for a little less than two years now, and life was treating her well.

She was designing spaceships, had a big fat paycheck in her pocket every two weeks, and lived a mere 3 minute walk from the beach.

Things could not have been better for Shelby Colewell.

Her NASA check, besides assisting in paying off her MIT student loans, had allowed her to purchase a gorgeous, white, pristine, brand-new 1990 Jeep Wrangler with a removable top. The redhead had quickly realized that upon relocating to the Sunshine State that she rather loved the sunshine, beach, ocean, and everything in between.

As she made her way to work that fine morning, the Jeep's top was off, Shelby's red hair was blowing in the breeze, and Led Zeppelin was blasting out of the stereo.

She was quite the brilliant young thing, the 20 year old female NASA engineer that spent her days designing the electrical components for spaceships and her nights dancing on the beach with her roommate and whatever cute boys they could scrounge up to buy them drinks.

Shelby's roommate Maggie was a waitress from Miami that had moved up the coast following a boy years ago. When he'd ended things, she'd decided to stay, and Shelby was glad, because otherwise Maggie would not have had the need for a roommate, and Shelby would have been out of an apartment. Despite their almost 10 years in age difference, the two got along great, and Shelby was glad to have a friend like Maggie down in Florida.

As she pulled into the gated parking lot that housed employee vehicles, she caught a glimpse of a familiar face crossing the parking lot.

Her stomach fluttered and a smile came over her face.

Adam Mitchell.

Dr. Adam Mitchell was somewhat of a genius himself, with dual doctorates in mechanical and electrical engineering from Cambridge that he had earned before the age of 24, which was his current age. Sure, Shelby was working by correspondence to complete her own doctorate from MIT, but even she had to admit that Adam's accomplishments were impressive.