nineteen

February 14th, 1988 — Cambridge, MA6:19 PM, EST

6:19 PM, EST

"Damn, Shelby, you're looking hot!" Donna exclaimed as she flounced into the redhead's room, her makeup tote tucked securely under her arm. "Robbo is going to be one lucky man tonight."

Shelby's cheeks flushed as deep as the color of her hair, and she crossed her arms over her chest as she looked at herself in the full length mirror that adorned her wall. She was dressed in the pretty black lace bustier with a high-waisted black skirt that revealed about an inch of her pale skin, black tights, and a borrowed pair of Lisa's black heels. "Are you sure? I'm not sure if I look like I'm headed to a Valentine's Day dinner at a fancy French restaurant or a funeral."

"Definitely not a funeral." Donna replied with a smirk, flicking the back of Shelby's leg as she flopped onto the latter's bed. "Too sexy for that."

Shelby groaned and rifled through her closet again. She knew Robbo wouldn't care what she was wearing, but she did. She pulled out an oversized black blazer and put it on, feeling much less exposed and much more comfortable.

"Can I do your makeup now?" Donna asked, setting herself up in front of Shelby's vanity.

"Yes, but nothing too crazy." Shelby replied, sitting in a chair.

"Never with you." Donna teased.

"Don't you have any plans for Valentine's Day, Don?" Shelby asked as the other girl began brushing some color onto her pale winter face.

Donna sighed and shook her head. "Lisa and I thought we would go hit up the bars. That's where all the other single people go, right?"

"I don't know." Shelby replied. She'd been single almost every other Valentine's Day of her life, but she'd never considered the day anymore special than any other dreary February day.

Donna giggled. "Of course, not all of us have a Robbo." She said. "Um, metaphorically, of course. I don't want a Robbo. Now, give me a Paula Abdul, or a Madonna, maybe ..."

"Well, Donns, maybe you'll find yourself a Madge tonight at the bar." Shelby said with an encouraging smile.

Donna sighed. "A girl can only dream." She stated before rifling through her kit. "This red would look good on Robbo's skin tone, don't you think?" She held it up to Shelby's lips. "Pressed against his cheek, or on the collar of his shirt, maybe?"

Shelby rolled her eyes and smirked slightly, unable to prevent the smile that came creeping on her face. "Just put it on, would you?"

Donna laughed and opened the cap. "Don't act like I don't know what happened in Salem, Miss Colewell." She teased. "When's he coming to get you, anyways?"

"Six thirty." The redhead responded, glancing up at the clock on her wall.

"Well then, I'd better hurry." Donna replies as she opened the lipstick and applied it onto Shelby's lips, along with some rouge on her cheeks and some mascara on her lashes.