forty six

December 16, 1991 — Cape Canaveral, FL7:20 PM, EST

7:20 PM, EST

"Shelby Anne Colewell, can I just say, for a skinny, awkward, white girl, you've really, really got it," Maggie said, grinning over Shelby's shoulder as the two looked into their bathroom mirror. Shelby was dressed in a tight black dress -- something out of her comfort zone, yet something quite stylish according to the saleswoman at the mall -- and a pair of black heels.

Shelby's doctoral diploma had just come in the mail (she had the choice to walk, but she couldn't take the time off of work to fly up to Boston, and she really didn't want to pay hundreds of dollars for new graduation robes that she would wear one time) so the two roommates would be heading to their favorite club for a night of celebrating.

"Thank you ... I think?" The redhead laughed as she glanced down at her watch. "I think Adam should be coming soon."

Adam, who had tagged along to many roommate activity nights before he and Shelby had even started dating, would be their designated driver that night. He didn't really care to drink, but Shelby couldn't imagine celebrating her big milestone without him.

"I am so ready to have some fun," Maggie sighed, adjusting her lipstick.

"Not too much fun," Shelby said. "I have to go to work in the morning."

Maggie grumbled, rolling her eyes. "Little Miss Doctor Astronaut can't even unwind after her big accomplishment."

"I'm sorry, Mags. We've got two months 'til the launch and --"

"Yeah, yeah. Two months until the launch and you can't afford to get off schedule. I know, I know. I'm just giving you a hard time," Maggie replied, giving Shelby a squeeze. "I'm proud of you, Red Fury."

Shelby groaned at the mention of her NASA nickname. "I really wish I'd never told you that was a thing."

"You didn't tell me," Maggie said with a grin. "Adam did."

The girls finished getting ready, and Adam soon arrived to bring them to the club.

The three of them secured a seat at the bar, where Maggie promptly ordered four shots of vodka.

"I'm not drinking, remember," Adam said, pushing the small glasses aside.

"I know," Maggie grinned. "These are for me and Shelby."

As time went on, the girls grew increasingly less self aware, and after a bit of time on the dance floor, they returned to the bar stools to rest their legs. Shelby leaned against Adam, downing the glass of cold water he'd ordered for her. "You should come dance with me, Adam," she said, giving him a wide smile.

He chuckled. "While that's very tempting, I think I'll just leave the dancing to the professionals."

"Cambridge? Red? Hey!"