fifteen

December 23rd, 1987 — Salem, MA8:41 PM, EST

8:41 PM, EST

Robbo's friend Keith was an overly confident, cocky, short blonde boy that flirted with all the girls. He was the kind of person that was sweet to adults and a jerk to everyone else, because he hadn't matured since high school.

Shelby was NOT a fan.

Robbo had lead her into Keith's home, a large two story house that was about 10 minutes across town from the Everetts. They went into the basement, where music was blasting from giant speakers and the air smelled like pure vodka.

She slipped her hand into Robbo's, feeling a little nervous about being at the party. He turned towards her and flashed a smile, and then continued leading her into the room. A group of girls was gathered around the speakers, dancing wildly. Three boys sat in front of the keg, as if guarding it. Robbo was leading her towards the back of the room, where a group of people sat in laughter.

"Robbo!" The boy Shelby would come to know as Keith stood up, his arms open as she and Robbo walked over towards them.

Rob gave him a quick hug, then slipped his hand back into Shelby's. "Hey, Keith. This is Shelby." He said, introducing the redhead at his side.

Shelby gave a hesitant smile. She wasn't really one that felt comfortable at parties, unless Tony was by her side.

"Hi, Shelby." Keith looked the girl up and down with a sly smile on his face and nodded at Robbo approvingly. "Can I get you a drink?"

"No, you can't." Shelby replied, staring back at the boy with the same intensity he was as he checked her out.

He raised an eyebrow and glanced over at Robbo. "Okay, then. Rob?"

"No," Robbo said, jingling his keys. "I'm driving."

"Well, then." Keith grinned at Shelby again. He had a smug, slimy, lizard-like grin that made Shelby want to pop him one in the jaw. "Why can't you drink then, little lady?"

Shelby scoffed. "I don't want to, thank you."

"Jeez, Robbo. Where'd you dig this one out of? What, are you some Harvard snob he met down in Boston?"

Ahh, yes. Harvard. People often thought she was in Boston to go to school at Harvard, not MIT, since she was, as Keith had put it, a "little lady".

"Hey, dude?" Robbo stood tall, looking at his friend. "Shut up. I met Shelby at MIT. She an engineer, just like me."

Well, not just like Robbo, Shelby thought to herself. She was Electrical, he was Mechanical, but ... nevertheless, she was glad he had stood up for her.

Keith clapped and hooted loudly. "Well, the little lady's an engineer! What do you engineer, little lady? Tampon strings?"

"Not exactly." Shelby replied. "Things far more complicated than your small brain could comprehend, I'm sure."