thirty five

May 31st, 1990 — Cape Canaveral, FL8:30 AM, EST

8:30 AM, EST

Shelby was seated at the conference table, patiently waiting for the Boeing representatives to arrive at their meeting. She wasn't working on the project, as she was far too busy with preparations for the Tenacity launch, but since she knew Robbo so well, they'd asked her to sit in on the first joint meeting. Obviously, NASA was hoping to swing things their way with her.

She hadn't seen Robbo in over a year, and she was excited to reunite with her old friend. She wondered if he was any different. He couldn't possibly be — it was Robbo, after all.

Their flight had taken off early that morning from SeaTac and they were coming straight to NASA from the airport. She wished she could have picked him up from the airport, so she could have held up a big, embarrassing sign, but alas her bosses had requested she stay. Besides, Dr. Montgomery's brand-new 1991 Cadillac was far more impressive than Shelby's little Jeep.

There was a knock on the door, and the receptionist popped her head in to let them know that "Dr. Chase" and "Mr. Everett" had arrived.

Dr. Croft, Shelby's favorite NASA higher-up, stood immediately, prompting the rest to stand as well. The redhead couldn't help but notice that she was the only woman in the room. With Dr. Croft leading the NASA side of the joint effort, Shelby wasn't at all surprised.

"Dr. Chase!" Croft announced as a man entered the room. "Wonderful to see you again!"

Dr. Chase was younger than Croft, probably about Dr. Feldstein's age. He walked in like he meant business, which was no doubt the reason he was there anyways. "Good morning, Dr. Croft."

Croft began to ask about the flight and accommodations, suddenly becoming a man of pleasantries. Shelby turned towards the doorway, awaiting the moment Robbo would enter the room.

"You'll have to forgive my associate, Mr. Everett, he's lagging behind at the moment." Dr. Chase stated, to which Robbo magically appeared in the doorway, carrying two large briefcases and a backpack. "Ahh, yes, here he is. Gentlemen, this is Robert Everett. Recent MIT grad, and one of Boeing's best-up-coming young lads."

"Ladies, and gentlemen, that is, Dr. Chase." Robbo corrected his superior as he dropped the things he was carrying and made a beeline for Shelby. "Miss Colewell, lovely to see you again." He said with his signature cheeky grin that had not diminished at all since college. He shook Shelby's hand professionally, giving it a light squeeze.

"Same to you, Mr. Everett." She replied, laughing internally at the fact that she was calling Robbo "Mr. Everett".

"Sorry, gentlemen," Robbo said, noticing that the higher-ups, particularly Dr. Croft, were looking at him funny for not greeting them first. "You'll have to excuse me. Shelby and I went to college together. It's been a long time."