twenty one

March 15th, 1988 — Cambridge, MA9:13 AM, EST

9:13 AM, EST

Nearly a month had gone by since the rose had arrived at Shelby's doorstep, and none of the girls knew who it was from. They'd long dismissed it from their minds, knowing that many girls at MIT, due to the small number of them, got unwanted attention like that on Valentine's Day.

Things were weird, though. Tony and Robbo weren't talking, and hadn't been for weeks. It was slowly tearing Shelby apart: her best friend and boyfriend, who had been friends longer than she'd known either, had ceased communication despite the fact that they lived together.

Each time that she'd be with one, she'd run into the other. Rob was incredibly understanding, though, as he knew Shelby and Tony were good friends and were working on their senior design project together. Tony, on the other hand, tensed up any time Shelby mentioned Robbo's name.

The worst thing was that she had no clue as to why they were feuding, and neither would let any information slip as to why.

Between that and her school work, the only things that kept her sane anymore were her alone time with Robbo, her girls' nights with Lisa and Donna, and the fact that her time with NASA was coming closer and closer.

"What are you going to write about?" Tony questioned, bringing Shelby out of her daze.

"Oh, I don't know." They were sitting in their Creative Writing class, and they'd been assigned to write a short story about something or someone that was important to them. "Space, maybe."

"Space?" Tony chuckled. "Elaborate, please?"

"Well, like ... I don't know. Maybe a story about a young girl that dreamed of being an astronaut when all her adult peers wanted her to do was play with Barbie dolls." She suggested. "That's important to me."

"That sounds a tad autobiographical." He teased.

"Maybe it is." She replied. "What about you then, Stark?"

"Haven't decided." He told her.

"Well, what's important to you?" She asked, twirling her pen in her fingers.

"Oh, you know, the three B's." He said with a smirk.

Shelby crossed her arms over her chest with a grin and repeated what he had said to her. "Elaborate, please?"

"The three B's. Booze, Burgers, and Black Sabbath." He stated.

Shelby rolled her eyes. "That sounds like an ode to joy right there." She said sarcastically.