Chapter Thirteen

Kelsey POV

“I can’t believe that you're being forced against your will to stay here this summer. That’s probably the most fucked up thing I’ve ever heard.” Fiona said to me from the driver’s seat of her car. We were heading to the party that Fiona had invited me to earlier in the day.

My mind struggled not to drift to the Jack incident at the supermarket. As if living here wasn’t bad enough, now I have to live here while trying to avoid a boy who is viewed as God’s gift to earth.

I don’t know why—besides the good looks and charming smirk, there isn’t anything to him.

Ok Kelsey, keep telling yourself that, my subconscious sadistically mocked.

“Yeah well, my mom can be pretty fucked up sometimes.” I responded.

“Whatever. I know you're from New York and all, but I can guarantee you that this party will blow your mind. There’s something about living in the middle of nowhere—it teaches rebellious teenagers how to throw a damn good party.” Fiona explained.

I gave her a fake smile and turned my face toward the window. I’m not a party girl to begin with, and now I was being forced to attend one on the same day I got embarrassingly rejected by a boy.

Fiona must have realized something was off, because she pulled over. I gave her a questioning look and she rolled her eyes.

“Why aren’t you excited?” she asked.

“Why did you pull over?” I countered.

“Because I can’t drive and be a therapist at the same time. I may look like a girl of many talents, but multitasking is not one of them.”

“Fiona, I’m fine. Trust me.” I reassured her. The last thing I wanted was my one and only friend thinking I’m pathetic for pining after a guy I just met.

“It’s Jack isn’t it?” Fiona’s question sounded more like a statement. When I didn’t respond, she gave an exaggerated sigh and pulled back onto the road.

I fought back my relief at her continuation. I didn’t feel like having to come up with an explanation for someone else when I couldn’t even come up with one for myself.

My relief was washed away however when I saw Fiona turn the wheel in the opposite direction of where we were headed before.

“Where are we going?” I inquired.

“You're upset about your love affair with Jack Gilinsky. Which is completely ridiculous by the way.”

My eyes almost pooped out my head at her comment. How did she know?

“Kelsey in case you haven’t noticed, the vine boys are famous. And when you hang out with one, the world knows about it.”

I felt sick. What did she mean? How could anyone know about it?

“You’re on twitter Kelsey. That’s how I know. Plus your reaction today at the supermarket when I brought the boys up confirmed my suspicions. And based off the way you're acting now, something between the two of you happened.” Fiona stated.

“I may curse way too much and show a little too much cleavage at times but I’m not an idiot. I’m number two in my senior class. I can tell when a girl is upset about something, especially when she turns red at the drop of a hat.”

Still giving her no response, she continued, “So, instead of going to the party right now, we’re stopping at my house and we’re gonna make you look hot. No offense, I mean you look good now, but tonight is a special occasion. We’re going to make you so mouthwatering that every guy tonight will give up a lung to talk to you.”