Chapter Fifteen

Kelsey POV

I woke the next morning and immediately went to look in the mirror. My cheek looked ten times worse than it had yesterday and my lip, although no longer bleeding, was still noticeably split open.

I hugged Jack’s flannel closer to me as I turned the bathroom lights off and plopped down on my bed.

Truly, I have no idea what came over me last night—I have no idea what made me suddenly burst my feelings out, feelings I didn’t even know I had. There was just something about Jack last night, whether it was his hero moment or the two of us alone in a dark car, I don’t know.

All I know is that now I’m pretty sure I have a boyfriend.

Wait, is he my boyfriend? I mean, we didn’t exactly make anything official.

Crap, so does he think we’re not exclusive? Are we exclusive?

Uh, this is all so confusing.

I rubbed my forehead with the sleeve of his flannel and tried to settle my thoughts. I have never done anything this irrational before. I have never allowed myself to freely express my emotions without worrying about the consequences.

It was terrifying and extremely liberating.    

My phone rang and it jumped me out of my trance. I tried to suppress my disappointment when I saw the name ‘Jessa’ pop up on my phone instead of Jack.

I felt instantly guilty. Jessa is my best friend from New York and I have barely spoken to her the past week because I have been absorbed into a weird alternate reality across the country.

Before I could even say hello, Jessa spoke, “KELSEY! Where have you been? Are you ok? Did you die? I mean you are in Nebraska god knows what they do down there.”

“Oh Jesus, Jessa, no I am very much alive.”

“I miss you ok. I’m forced to hang out with Luce because you're not here. She doesn’t even watch Grey’s Anatomy, what am I supposed to talk about with her? Plus, all she ever does is talk about her boyfriend. I swear Kels, if I have to hear one more story about that boy I might rip my hair out.”

I smiled to myself at her comments. Luce, my other best friend, always seemed to get on Jessa’s nerves. I can only imagine how she is fending for herself without me there.

“Kels, the other day I had to endure a twenty minute conversation about Tyler’s arms. HIS ARMS. I don’t care! Uh I need you back here. My brain is slowly deteriorating without you by my side.”

“I know Jessa, trust me. I wish I was with you.”

I withheld the end of that statement, which would be ‘in New York.’ Did I really want to go back to New York? Maybe this summer wouldn’t be so bad after all.

Especially now that I am sort of, maybe, who knows, kind of dating Jack.

“Ok, so I have a crazy idea but just go with it ok?”

“…ok.” I replied with hesitation.

“I am totally gonna fly down and come visit you! This is our last summer together before we go to separate schools and even though we’ll still be in the same city, we need to make the most out of this summer. My grandma already told me she would be willing to pay for my flight and I am so ready to experience Omaha with you.”

“Oh my god YES! Jessa oh my god yes please come.” I pleaded.

Jessa here sounded like perfection.