Chapter Twenty-Three

Kelsey POV

"You don't seem too excited." I leaned over to Jack as he drove. He gave me a sideways look and forced a smile.

"A lot of things have changed since last year's carnival. I just don't want to run into anyone we don't want to deal with."

"Cam told me that Nash isn't coming tonight, so that's one less body to worry about." Johnson reassured from the backseat.

"Kelsey, have you started a war over here? Jesus, you've been here for a little over a month and it seems like everyone hates everyone." Jessa teased.

"I cannot take credit for all the mayhem that has happened this summer, although I have been in the middle of most of it." I admitted.

"And you have handled it with grace, I'm sure." Jessa laughed.

The jeep stopped outside of Sam's house and we all waited while he made his way to the car.

"Does anyone know if Fiona is going to be here tonight?" Johnson asked.

"You are not going near her Johnson." I protested.

"I will personally make sure he does not approach her." Jack promised.

"Hey guys." Sam hopped in the backseat and his gaze immediately fell on Jessa next to him.

"You must be Kelsey's friend that she's always talking about." Sam stared at Jessa. "She did however fail to mention you have purple hair."

"Purple tips." Jessa corrected, clearly dazed from the proximity of Sam.

Jack tore his eyes from the road and gave me a weird look, one which I returned.

They were still staring at each other.

"Ok, so back to the Fiona issue-" Johnson broke the awkward silence that followed the meeting of Jessa and Sam.

"Shut up." Jack cut him off from the front seat.

The rest of the ride was silent.

I have never been to a carnival before. There isn't exactly enough space in Manhattan to put a Ferris wheel. When we all stepped out of the jeep, I was immediately captivated by the twinkly lights and sounds of joy. Everywhere I looked there were booths full of food, rides, fortune tellers, prizes and games. As we ventured further inside, more attractions became visible: bumper cars, a funhouse, a mini-rollercoaster, and of course a Ferris wheel.

"I say we hit the food first." Johnson announced.

"I second that." I added, eyeing the cotton candy cart.

The five of us made our way through the crowd of people and the awkwardness that had been present before was now over. Johnson ran ahead with Sam while Jessa, Jack, and I followed.

I elbowed Jessa's side and asked, "What was that car ride?"

Confusion dawned over her innocent eyes and she replied, "What, you mean that awkward 'Fiona silence'?"

"...No I mean that awkward 'Sam and Jessa staring contest' silence." I told her.

A blush crept up on her cheeks and she pushed her dark hair behind her ear for something to do. Her wish for a distraction was granted when Sam shouted, "I'm paying! What color does everyone want?"

We all gave him our orders and I turned my questioning eyes back to Jessa.

She sighed in defeat and said, "I don't know...he's just very attractive."

"Do me a favor and please just... don't. Not Sam. I mean, I love him, but he's... not the guy for you." I pleaded. Images of Sam and Janelle's dysfunctional relationship filled my mind and I did not want Jessa to get caught up in someone like that.