Chapter Twenty-Five

Kelsey POV

I found it impossible to sleep that night.

Me. Jack. Tour.

My heart raced with excitement while my brain produced feelings of uncertainty. I can’t think of anything I want more than to spend more time with Jack. When he told me he would be forced to leave two weeks earlier than planned…

I can’t only have two more weeks with him.

I can’t only have two more weeks of our summer.

Every time I tried to close my eyes and fall asleep, I pictured how amazing it would be to travel with Jack, even if it is for the short time we have left. I thought of the immense possibilities and experiences and I envisioned how happy I would be. I had been happy in the past, but that felt like nothing compared to now. I had always believed that as long as I did what I was supposed to do, happiness would eventually find me. It wasn’t until a gorgeous boy accused me of flirting with an asshole that I realized happiness would not grace me with its presence; sitting around and being the perfect example of the perfect girl would get me nowhere. Breaking into football fields and camping in the woods, on the other hand, would fill me with more joy than I ever thought possible. And I wasn’t ready to give that up.

But then the rational side of my brain obliterated all the thoughts of late night tour bus kisses and the blissful feeling of Jack’s skin on mine. I mean, this is completely crazy. Jack and I met at the beginning of summer—we haven’t even been together for long. Our relationship developed so quickly and I was terrified that if I didn’t go on tour, our firelight would be extinguished.

I couldn’t toss and turn anymore, so I finally took my pillow and threw it to the bed next to mine and successfully hit Jessa. Jessa immediately jumped upright, her eyes darting over to me.

“What the actual fuck, Kelsey Jennings?” Jessa hissed, her tone laced with sleep.

“I need help.” I admitted.

“Seriously?” Jessa grabbed her wild hair and knotted it at the top of her head. “It’s three in the morning. We’re in Omaha. What do you need help with?!”

I sighed and pealed the covers from my body as I lazily walked toward Jessa’s bed. Jessa moved over and leaned back on the headboard of her bed, conceding defeat.

“I was having a great dream you know.” Jessa complained as I crawled into the vacant left side of her bed.

“Sorry for interrupting your REM sleep, but I have serious issues going on right now.” I scoffed.

“What issues can’t wait until daylight?”

“Shut up.”

Jessa morphed into a therapist when she asked, “Fine. What issues are you having today, Ms. Jennings?”

I rolled my eyes at her mocking tone and told her of the events that had transpired after she left the carnival.

When I was done, Jessa, now wide awake, spoke, “Holy shit. Kelsey.” A huge grin broke out on my best friend’s face and she started to bounce up and down, showcasing no signs of her earlier fatigue. “Kelsey! He asked you to go on tour with him?!? That’s huge! That’s like… oh my GOD! Kels!!!”

I reached my arms out to stop Jessa’s jumping and said, “No. Well, yeah I know. But…no. What am I gonna do?”

“Kelsey, you told him yes! You're going. You HAVE to go.” Jessa demanded.

“We’ve only been together for a month and a half…”

“Who cares! Come on Kelsey, you would be staying in Omaha anyway. It’s not like you’ll be doing anything interesting here. It’s Omaha. What’s the harm in going on an adventure with the boy you're in love with? I see no harm in having fun for once. Be a teenager!” Jessa said.