24.0

THE CUDDLING

Strangely, the tourist remains in silence while we exit the stadium. It is kind of better to have him like that because he is way too annoying most of the time but I don’t know, it kind of makes me feel weird. I know he is sad about the match and I wish I could do something to change that but I can’t.

“Let’s cross the street,” I grab his arm to stop him because there’s a car coming, “Watch out.”

“Aw,” he smiles shyly, “That’s sweet,” he says and then he shuts up again. I check on him a few times while we walk and he always has his eyes fixated on the floor. I need to cheer him up because I can’t stand seeing him like this.

“We should go to my hotel to take a nap or something,” I try to make random conversation, “What do you say?”

“I could use a nap,” he fakes a smile and goes silent again.

“Where are you staying?”

“Nowhere,” he answers with a seed of shame.

Hotelless again?” I try to make him laugh but I fail, “How do you keep on doing that?”

“I’m poor,” he mumbles, “And my bus departs at 6 am so I didn’t mind.”

“Bus?”

“Yeah, it’s something we poor people use to travel,” he laughs for the first time after the match ended. It’s such a different laugh from the ones I’m used to get from him though. Now that he is sad, he looks even smaller and I wish I could hug him. Just kidding. I do not want to hug him, you know.

“How many hours will you travel?”

“Around 9. It’s not too much, the one to Belo Horizonte will be much longer,” he sighs, “But I don’t even want to go anymore.”

“Come on,” I push him playfully, “We need to be there for our guys. Are you forgetting that they won?” I wink at him.

“Oh right,” he smiles, “They did win.”

“Please be happy again,” I pout.

“What?”

“I hate to see you like this,” I admit, “It’s making my heart feel weird.”

“Aw,” he seriously needs to stop awing all the time, “Where is the old grumpy macho Harry I used to know?”

“Do you miss him?” I frown.

“I like this sweet version of you way better,” it looks like he is recovering from his sadness and I’m happy to see that, “What happened to make you change like this?”

“You,” I smile, “You happened to me and please don’t say Aww.”

“Aww,” he covers his mouth with a hand, “Sorry but I couldn’t help it. That’s so sweet, bubu. I feel like pinching your cheeks and kissing you for a whole hour.”

“What’s stopping you?” I tease but when I see he is getting closer to me I back off, “Kidding, let’s save this for when we get to the hotel.”

“I thought so,” he stays quiet again and I sigh because I want him to be all bubbly again. What can I do?

“Oh,” I say out loud when the perfect idea comes to my mind.

“What is it?”

“Nothing,” I grab his hand but I let it go quickly, “Come with me.”

“Where to?”