26.0

THE EXPLANATION

“Now I feel bad,” he says as I leave the bathroom.

“Why?”

“Look at you, all dressed up and handsome,” he points at his clothes, “I look like a homeless.”

“Well, you are hoteless,” I laugh at him, “But you still look good.”

“No, I don’t,” he pouts.

“I already told you that you can wear my stuff if you want to.”

“Kinky,” he coughs.

“I like how you look, stop complaining.”

“My shirt smells funny,” he sniffs the fabric. Ew.

“You have so much to learn, tourist,” I sigh, “You need to always be ready. Stop travelling around without a carry on.”

“I thought you said the less you carry when you travel, the cooler you are,” he smirks.

“Well, that’s true but you need to have a few outfits. Just in case a hottie like me asks you out on a date,” I wink and his expression changes before he stays quiet for a while.

“Don’t mention that word,” he sighs deeply.

“Oh,” I drop myself on the bed.

“Sorry,” he gets closer to me, “I didn’t mean to.”

“It’s okay,” I look at him, “I needed a reminder because I almost forgot that you still owe me an explanation.”

“I do,” he sighs again, “Let’s discuss it during dinner maybe?”

I nod before we leave the room and I stay in silence during the walk to the restaurant. I can’t help but feel worried about how the memory of his stupid ex affects him. I have this weird feeling every time I remember that douche’s face. It’s a mix of anger and fear that I don’t understand. And no, it’s not jealousy, not at all.

“Why are you so silent?”

“I don’t know,” I keep walking, “I’m just thinking.”

“About what?”

“About you, about me, about this date thingy,” I stay quiet again.

“Nothing else?” he insists.

“About cuddling too,” I fake a laugh, “I think I like cuddling. I never thought I’d like it but now I do.”

“Aw,” he squeezes my hand and lets it go, “That’s because I’m a very good little spoon.”

“You are,” I grab his hand without letting it go, “I have nobody else to compare you with though.”

“What do you mean?” he raises an eyebrow and lowers his voice, “And just in case you didn’t notice, we are holding hands right now.”

“I know. Those girls are checking you out and I want them to know that you are not available. I have enough competition as it is.”

“You are starting to leave the competition behind,” I look at him and he smiles at me, “You are one of the favorites to win this World Cup right now.”

I hesitate for a while but I need to ask. “Is Ireland still playing?”

“Do you want me to be honest?”

“Please,” I sigh, “Or I don’t know.”

“Let’s put it like this,” he stops the walk and stands in front of me, “Ireland is a strong contender.”