Kaiba Seto

The next few days were a little quiet. Right now, Yugi and Joanna were a friendly game of Duel Monsters.

Joanna decided to play with her mother's deck; Lunalight and Yugi had his deck out as well.

"Dragon of Darkness and his field is the lake."

"Well then, I play Garden Maiden Gracidea, and her field is the Green Meadow."

"Huh? But wouldn't she be destroyed by Dragon?" Yugi asked.

"Maybe, but she has a special ability. When she's on the field and is the only monster I control, all your monsters loose half their attack points during the damage step of my turn." Joanna explained.

Yugi lost Dragon of Darkness and was at 1500 life points.

"Ah! I play Death Wolf in attack mode. His field is the Dark Forest."

Joanna had 1800 life points as Gracidea was taken out. Then she smiled as she pulled out her next card.

"I play a special field spell card and place it to change the Lake; Lunalight Mist Lake. In addition, when Gracidea is destroyed I can summon 2 new monsters from my deck as long as they are Level 4 or below. I summon Lunalight Blue Cat and Lunalight Crimson Fox, and place them in Lunalight Mist Lake." She said as she placed the two cards on the game board.

"Wow! So these are the elusive Lunalight monsters? How did you get them?" Yugi asked.

"They were originally my mother's cards before she and dad passed on. But I'm not done here. In addition to my normal draw, Lunalight Mist Lake allows me two draw two new cards. And if they are Lunalight monsters, I can special summon them." Joanna said drawing two new cards and smiling. "One of them is Lunalight Purple Butterfly, though I'll use her for later. Right now, I sacrifice Blue Cat and Crimson Fox to summon Lunalight Sea Beast in attack mode." As she placed the beautiful ritual monster on the field. "And to wrap it up, I send Purple Butterfly to the Graveyard to activate her ability. As a result a Lunalight Monster I control gains 1000 extra attack points until the end of this turn."

That brought Yugi's life points to zero.

"Wow, you're good at his Joanna."

"Thanks, although this the first time I played like this." The blonde admitted.

Then the other students came back into class.

"Hey Yugi, Joanna. What were you two playing?" Miho asked.

"Duel Monsters. It's becoming popular among the senior students and at other schools these days." Joanna said.

"It's a card battle game. The goal is to wipe out the opponent's life points as their monsters battle. And by placing a certain monster in the right field, it'll get a powerup." Yugi explained.

"But it's not just about the monsters. There are also spell cards to increase their strength or give you a step ahead of the opponent, and trap cards to get rid of a certain monster of your opponents. Without them, the monsters will get beaten every time." Joanna finished.

"Well, you two should be more cautious about talking about this stuff." Honda said.

"What do you mean?" Yugi asked.

"Oh right. I heard about it too. See Yugi, these cards are getting popular, and as a result, there are also collectors. Recently, there's been word about the rarer ones getting stolen." Joanna explained.

"Really, why these cards?" Tea asked.

"They're not too hard to buy or expensive. In fact there are people in America that come looking for a certain card too. My grandpa's got single cards too." Yugi said.