Ch.13 The Stranger

In a dark, unsettling, alleyway wedged between two broken down buildings a lonely stranger began to strolled through. It was eerily quiet and only the crunch of tiny rock particles under each of his footsteps made a noise.

The atmosphere all around felt plain, almost boring, but he became deadly silent as he paused his movements briefly. Just a precaution. A few feet further down his path was a zone that was so pitch black it looked like a dead end, though, he knew it wasn't.

This male dog turned to hearing instead of sight, believing that it would be for the best. Luckily it was one of his greatest strength, giving him the upper hand whenever it was essential. His ears moved and pointed to the afternoon sky overhead, then he shut his eyes and held his breath for a moment, thus improving his concentration on one specific sound he was in search for.

That's when he heard it. Breathing. Not only that but a heart pumping, then most shocking of all, footsteps, multiple, heading his way. His eyes reopened to see a shadowy figure boldly approaching. Before it stepped out of the shaded section and into his view, it slowed down then, oddly, it stopped. Not from fear, he observed, at least not yet.

Something wasn't right, he kept hearing faint crunches of pebbles, but the figure he focused on hasn't moved. Waves of sound that traveled to him came from almost everywhere. His left, right, and even behind the male. All of it was not from the lifeform he first noticed, the mysterious being directly in front of him couldn't have possibly made all those noises. He concluded, if the racket came from somewhere else, it's got to be from someone else. Maybe even more.

With all certainty he knew now, the thing lurking in the shadows wasn't alone. The stranger took his eyes off the unknown covered in black creature and inspected his new company.

A gang of nine vicious canines now circled around him, snarling and growling fiercely. Three on the left, three to the right, three behind him, and one in front, the man in charge. They showed off their wolf like teeth, usually used as an attempt to scare off any clueless trespasser. Little did they know, this guy was no ordinary wanderer.

The pack of wild dogs were keeping him trapped, blocking all possible escape routes. But it didn't matter, he wasn't planning on going anywhere anyways. This traveler wasn't intimidated or afraid, like most would be, he didn't even bat an eye when the wide space he had with them shrunk a good chunk.

Stranger: "I see. You had me distracted so your little pack could make sure I didn't go nowhere." He sarcastically gave out a chuckle. "Well, you got me where you want me. Why don't you introduce yourself already? Your the leader after all, right?" His gaze was directed to the front.

The Leader: "Really smart for someone that roams around all alone." He stepped forward, out into the clearer light.

Stranger: "Oh, I'm even smarter, because I know it's better this way."

The Leader: "If you have a death wish then absolutely."

Stranger: "It's funny that you bring that up." A sly smirk lifted one side of his mouth exposing his own dagger edged teeth. "It's not me who has the death wish." The look in his eyes alone was enough proof that he meant it.

Leader: "Is that a threat?" He said glaring.

Stranger: "You heard me. Or do you just not understand?"

Leader: "I don't need to do anything to you. I'll let my friends here take care of weaklings like you. Teach him a lesson."

His pack instantly moved closer upon their leader's request.

Leader: "That takes enough time away from my day, I don't need to waste more."

Stranger: "Then let's make this quick."