Brecht: 4

Fitz never made it a secret that he suspected something else had gone down on the waterfront that night; that Brecht might in fact be responsible for Dillon’s death. Towards the end of the drive home, he plainly stated that to Brecht.

“Dillon never would have gone down like that,” Fitz said.

Brecht shook his head, not taking his eyes off the road. “The teacher and the student got the jump on him. It happened quickly.”

“Nobody gets the jump on Dillon,” Fitz mumbled looking out the side window. “I think you had something to do with this.”

“For what purpose?”

“So you could take over the gang. I know you’ve had your mind on the top spot for a while now.”

“Oh?” Brecht said, slamming on the brakes and stopping the car dead in the middle of the Kingsway, one of the city’s main roads. “Like you haven’t?”

“Move the car, Brecht.”

“The only reason you would notice something like that is because you had your eye on the very same thing.”

“Move. The. Car.”

“Admit it.”

Although it was still several hours before traffic would begin to become thick with morning commuters, they were sitting at a dead stop on one of Sudbury’s main roads. The Kingsway was a four lane roadway and one of the two main thoroughfares that linked New Sudbury and the downtown core together. A few cars passed them on both sides.

“C’mon. You’re attracting attention to us.”

“I’ll move the car as soon as you admit it, Mister Holier-than-Thou.”

Fitz tried to press on Brecht’s leg, grab the wheel, but Brecht pulled away.

“Fuck sakes,” Fitz said. “Let’s get out of here and we can discuss this later.”

“You’re the one who fucking started it.”

“You’re the one who let Dillon down. Now c’mon, get this car moving. Let me drive, for fuck sakes.”

Brecht turned off the car, pulled the keys from the ignition and got out of the car. “You want the keys?” he said, pitching them across the road. “Go get them.”

“You stupid fuck!” Fitz scrambled out of the car and raced for the keys.

Brecht started walking away.

“You’re going down!” Fitz yelled out to him. “You’re fucking going down.”

“We’ll see about that.”

[The rest of this novel will continue to be rolled out on a regular basis here on Wattpad, but if you can't wait to read it, the print and eBook versions are available through all major online retailers. Publisher Atomic Fez's page (with links) is here:  http://www.atomicfez.com/book-catalogue/9781927609033.html]