Sin Eater: Chapter 11

Brecht marveled at how easy it was, given the right mixture of drugs and of leveraging O’Mallick’s desire for a strong father figure, merging in concepts from the hero movies O’Mallick had enjoyed.

Given that the young man had already begun to use his death power in that way, it was a simple path to convince him to continue on, but in a guided fashion.

Brecht continued to paraphrase and steal quotes from various movies, explaining to O’Mallick how he had amassed his wealth and resources by taking from those he purged from society; that he operated like a modern day Robin Hood.

O’Mallick embraced the concept that Brecht headed up an organized gang of vigilantes to assist him in this quest. But Brecht kept Peter from interacting with any of the others, explaining how nobody else would understand him.

Brecht also described to Peter the necessity that the men who worked for him weren’t always of the same breed as Peter. Their souls were ‘grey, extremely grey;’ but dealing with them, and keeping them close was a strategy Brecht needed to employ.

“The best way to properly infiltrate the underworld and to do what we need to do to purge them from our society,” Brecht had explained, “is to infuse ourselves within their culture, gain their trust by operating within their circles.”

Peter felt that he understood. “You need to cross through the gates of Hell in order to slay some demons.”

Brecht nodded. “Exactly. But that doesn’t mean I want you to be sleeping next to those demons. I still need to keep you protected from them as much as I can.”

Through this special type of isolation, Brecht was able to completely control the young man’s perspective, and use him to strategically take out rival gang members.

§         §         §

As the days rolled to weeks and the weeks to months, Peter’s loyalty to Brecht grew to such an extent that there was never a question as to the good he was playing.

Simply, to Peter, it felt as if he finally belonged, he finally fit in; he could finally do some good to make up for all the mistakes he had made.

[The rest of this novel will continue to be rolled out on a regular basis here on Wattpad, but if you can't wait to read it, the print and eBook versions are available through all major online retailers. Publisher Atomic Fez's page (with links) is here:  http://www.atomicfez.com/book-catalogue/9781927609033.html]