Sin Eater: Chapter 9

Deciding to sacrifice four of his gang members hadn't been easy, But Brecht marveled at how beautifully it had worked.

The kid might have matured a great deal in the last half of a year, learned some appropriate defensive and offensive tactics to stay alive on the street. But that essence of “naïve Northern Ontario bumpkin” still seemed to reign in his blood.

That and the fact the kid was desperate for a strong father figure. The same way he had fallen into the role of protégé under his teacher Kyle Robinson, he would similarly slip into the same role with Brecht as his master.

Brecht, of course, used all this knowledge of the kid’s psyche and previous history to his advantage. He summoned up the style and manner that Robinson had used in the classroom to win O’Mallick over. And he spoke a strange mix of philosophical quotes that he gathered from literature as well as the some of the movies the kid had cherished watching with his uncle.

Over the course of several weeks, O’Mallick — whom Brecht had checked into a small private hotel suite — would anxiously await the arrival of Brecht, who appeared between doctor visits (a medical resident who was indebted to Brecht and working to pay it off), sweeping in and out of the young man’s room with a cloak and dagger mystique like some sort of secret “Deep Throat” type character.

During these visits, Brecht would toss out obscure yet tantalizing references to the fact that, as O’Mallick himself had begun to understand on his own, the innate powers he was born with weren’t a curse, but rather a blessing.

[The rest of this novel will continue to be rolled out on a regular basis here on Wattpad, but if you can't wait to read it, the print and eBook versions are available through all major online retailers. Publisher Atomic Fez's page (with links) is here:  http://www.atomicfez.com/book-catalogue/9781927609033.html]