Chapter 2: The Straight Path

اهْدِنَا الصِّرَاطَ الْمُسْتَقِيمَ"

"So this is the sixth verse of Surah Al-Fatihah. It brings the meaning 'Guide us to the straight path."

"See, as humans, we are very susceptible to sins. It is very easy to fall into sins without realising it. Sometimes, our desires takes a toll on us and pushes us to sin. That is precisely why we have to ask Allah to keep us on His straight path. So that our sins don't deviate us from His love. If we were to remain on His straight path, Allah would shower us with His mercy and love. If you were to attain His love, it is much more valuable than the whole world and what it contains, " Imam Amir explained.

Farra listened intently, trying to slowly digest and internalise his words. Meanwhile, Falisa, seated on her right, scribbled notes furiously on her floral-themed notebook.

It had been precisely one month, since Farra started taking classes with Imam Amir. Alhamdulillah, Falisa makes time for her and eagerly accompanies her to her one-to-one classes with Imam Amir. Alhamdulillah, Farra is immensely grateful to be blessed with a great teacher and an amazing friend.

"Okay Farra and Falisa, any questions?" Imam Amir questioned while packing his books into his dark blue backpack.

"Imam?"

"Yes, Farra?"

"Do I still need to ask Allah for guidance, eventhough I am already on the right path?"

"How do you know you are on the right path?" And how do you know your definition of the right path is parallel to Allah's definition of the right path? Who knows, you could be very, very far away from Allah, while you think your deeds are true and right."

Imam Amir's words struck into my heart, as though a long, sharp sword pierced right through the depths of my heart.

While he slowly got up and traced his steps towards his motorcycle, Farra couldn't help but to mull over his words, over and over again.

"Who knows, you could be very, very far away from Allah, while you think you are doing the right thing."

At that instant, Farra grabbed her phone and swarmed through an ocean of photos in my gallery.

Her eyes caught a picture of them. A selfie of them, smiling widely, on the pearly white sand of Tioman Beach. Happiness was written all over their face, and he had a tinge of red on his cheek.

Farra looked away from my phone,  my eyes staring blankly at the intrinsic Islamic geometry on the window. Her mind wandered off to the time they went on a holiday to  Tioman Beach with their small group of friends.

One year ago

The smell of the salty sea tickled my olfactory receptors as I inhaled the fresh air. The fresh air rejuvenated every cell in my body, The clear, pearly white sand flowed through my fingers as delicate as water. The miniscule sand grains tingled my fingers, each grain too miniscule to be perceived by the human eye. The pristine water was clear as crystal, revealing all the beauty buried in the seabed. The waves sang slow lullabies, making me reminisce my childhood, and the love I never felt.

As minutes ticked by and the warm rays gradually glowed, I saw him, sauntering towards me. He tanned a lot, since we spent nearly 6 hours on the beach. We bathed, played with the sand, chased and splashed water onto each other. Exhausted, we sat on the beach, witnessing the captivating beauty of the sunset. Dhiya sat with her love, Arol while I sat alone.

His came, wearing a slim-fit white jersey and a plain red shorts. He flashed his heart-melting smile and sat next to me.

"Vicky."

"Yes, darls."

"You tanned a lot man."

"Yeah, I know."

"Who asked you to push away my sublock?"

"Nahhhh, it's fine. I am dark anyways. Dark and proud," he said while giggling.

"Please go and put on your glasses, you are gonna miss out on the beauty of the sunset."

He wiggled his left hand into my right hand and took out his glasses.

"Wow Jo, you tried to make me go on a treasure hunt for my glasses, while you are hiding it huh?"

I laughed sheepishly and looked away, a tiny bit embarrassed to look into his eyes.

I put my head on his shoulder, and we watched the sunset, together.

The sky was painted with shades of orange, red and yellow. As the last few rays of sunshine shone lightly, I shed a few beads of tears, engulfed in the beauty of nature. Vicky wiped my tears away.

"Farra!!!!" Falisa shouted, snapping me back into reality.

"Are you daydreaming? Let's go back!"

"Give me a minute please."

"Hurry upppp!!!"

I fell into sujood, wanting to talk to Allah. I thought what I used to do, was the right thing. I thought pursuing my happiness was the right thing to do. Life is all about happiness, and just do whatever that makes you happy, or so I thought. But I never knew, Allah is the purpose of life. The only reason of my existence is to worship Allah. If not for Allah, I would never achieve eternal happiness.

"Ya Allah, I had been away from you, from your love, for a long, long time. I pray to you, Ya Allah, to keep me on the straight path. Your straight path." I pleaded to Allah, slowly whispering my prayers in my sujood.

P.s. Trust me, I cringe when I write romantic scenes, but here we go 😎