Chapter 4: Taqwa

"Falisa.'

"Mmmm."

"Falisaa."

"Yes?"

"FALISAAA!"

"WHAT DO YOU WANT???"

"I. AM. HUNGRYYYY. I am starving so bad, I could imagine gulping down a big jug of icy, sweet sirap bandung. A bowl of spicy, crunchy fried chicken is floating infront of my eyes, and I wish I could seize it and..."

"Wow wow, young lady. I thought someone called herself an Iron Lady? Someone just told me that she could survive hunger and thirst without breaking a sweat? What happened, Mademoiselle Farra? Letting down your guards in just the fifth day of Ramadhan huh?"

"Hahaha I am Iron Lady, but then the screws do get loosened up sometimes."

"Ah? Screw gets loosened? It gets loosened in your stomach, or head?"

"HEYYYYYYY!!!"

"HAHAHAHAHA. Honestly, nothing satisfies me more than fooling around  you, Farra."

"Falisa, it is extremely tough to fast on Ramadhan. More than twelve hours of surviving without food and drinks? Gee, this is tougher than I thought."

"It is."

"So then, how had you been fasting all this years without making a big deal out of it? You look pretty normal to me, it seems as if you are not even fasting. A few days into fasting, and I already feel like giving up."

"Hmm, there are two reasons why I seem normal while fasting. Firstly, I am used to it. I had been fasting since I was seven, plus the fact that I fast voluntarily on Mondays and Thursdays. Although it may get tough on some days, I learn to go through it without complaining. You will get used to it eventually. Secondly, we Muslims fast on the basis of Taqwa. As Allah said in the Quran,

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الصِّيَامُ كَمَا كُتِبَ عَلَى الَّذِينَ مِنْ قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

which means:

O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous.
Quran Surah Al-Baqarah, Aayah 183

Do you know the meaning of taqwa, Farra?"

"Hmmm I have heard the Imam saying the word during the Eid sermons"

Farra mimicks the Imam's voice.

"Ittaqillah, fear Allah! Bluek bluek bluek."

"Farra, you are asking for a slap!"

"Hahaha, calm down Falisa. I was kidding. You were saying something about, what was that? Taqwa?"

"Yes, back to the topic. Most people misinterpret Taqwa as being fearful of Allah. But that is not entirely true."

"Ah? It isn't?"

"Nope, it isn't. Do you still remember Saidina Umar Al-Khattab?"

"Yeppp, still remember his legacy from our History subject back at school."

"Alright, that is good enough. I am going to tell you a story."

"Wow, story time!"

Falisa smiled quietly and went on with her story.

Umar ibn al-Khattab asked Ka'ab the meaning of taqwa; Ka'ab was renowned for his deep understanding of the Qur'an. In reply Ka’ab asked Umar (rA), "What do you do when you have to pass through a thorny road?" 'Umar (rA) replied, “I lift my cloth up to my calves and watch my footsteps and take each step slowly from the fear of thorns lest they don’t prick me”. Ka’b said, “This is Taqwa."

"Falisa, it still means fear, fearing Allah."

"That's a half-truth, Fa. It actually means to love Allah so much to the point where you are scared of doing anything that angers Him. You refrain from sinning in the fear of losing His love. See if you don't love the garment you are wearing, you would not bother to lift up your garment when walking down a thorny path right?"

BUZZZZZ, BUZZZZZ, BUZZZZZZ

Falisa checks her phone.

Caller ID: Vicky.

"Fa, give me a minute, someone is calling."

"Sure, pick up the call."

"Nah it's okay, I will attend to the call outside."

"Oh well...."

Falisa leaves the room in a hurry.

"Is it just me or did I notice Falisa panicking?" Farra asked herself.

P.s. Alhamdulillah I have finally updated a new chapter. Sorry for the long break, I will try to be a tad bit more consistent from now on. Untill then, enjoy your Ramadhan!!! And below I have attached a link of this Ramadan series about taqwa from one of my favourite preachers, Imam Omar Suleiman!!! Do check out his videos and also his series yeahhh. Love 💗💗💗