Chapter 17: The Voice

Who was that? And why was he staring at me?

The eyes
The eyes don't lie
They kill
They strike
They love
And they hate
The eyes
Tell stories
The mouth refuses to say
The eyes
The eyes don't lie

Farra could still feel the chill travelling through her spine. The eyes of the stranger was dark, like a thick, black cloud, impending to bring together with it doom. His eerily familliar eyes, and the gaze which momentarily paralysed Farra, could not be forgotten.

The eyes
The eyes don't lie

Though Farra was still shivering in fear, she had to walk into the mosque. She had to go, and perform what had to be done. She forced her legs to tread through the entrance of the mosque. She let her sandals sit at the edge of a rack and walked in.

Though she came here with a heart riddled with so many nagging thoughts, she felt her worries melting away, like snow melting at the first ray if te summer sun. She was not sure if the aura was caused by the air conditioner blowing cold air, or just the aura of the mosque. She wanted to rest her pained soul in the depts of the mosque, so she hurriedly walked into the ablution area, and washed her worries way. She felt each bead of water dripping from her face, carrying millions of her tears away.

She sat with her legs crossed on the front row of the women's section. She looked around at the interior of the mosque. The walls were all painted white, thus planting calm and warmth in her heart. The doors were crafted with beautiful and colourful Islamic geometry. The dome of the mosque was fitted with colourful windows which glow under the sunlight. The partition between the men and the women was just a thick, opaque curtain. Although the gray curtain seemed tough, it would sway at the blow of a fan. She could see the male jamaah sitting down in rows, but she chose not to peep too much. Astaghfirullah.

For Farra, mosque was that one place where her raging heart would settle down. It was that one place where her noisy and anxious mind would stop it's annoying chatter. Her breathing would follow a rhythmic pace and her anxiety would leave her in solace. In short, her soul is hidden among the walls of a mosque.

While she waited for the Traweeh to begin, the Imam(or whoever it was) was reciting zikr, and repeated the same, heart-warming zikr.

Astaghfirullah
Rabbal baraaya
Astaghfirullah
Minal khothoya

Rabbi zidni, ilman nafi'a.
Wawaffiqli, amalan maqbula.
Wa habli, rizqan wa-sia.
Watub alaina taubatan nasuha.

Farra closed her eyes, and let her tears drip down in the remembrance of her God, The Ar-Rahmaan. While she was completely engrossed in her zikr, there was some slow murmur around her. She opened up her eyes to see what was that annoying chatter disturbing her, and found a young mother tending to her toddler. Farra was instantly attracted to the little girl's smile, and proceeded to hold out her hand. But geez, the little kid stepped away from her, and hid underneath her mother's prayer clothes. Kid, I am not trying to kidnap you.