Chapter 6: Childhood

The bench was tough, carved out of solid wood

The bench was tough, carved out of solid wood. Although the bench was long, Farra "booked" the spot next to her with her handbag. She needed some time alone, away from any human intervention.

She stared into the morning sky, trying to clear my messed up head. Rays of sunlight slowly spilled into the horizon, illuminating the sleepy sky. Slow chatter and murmur of the birds, conversing with each other in their own sweet language, gave a breath of fresh air from the hustle and bustle of the city. Masya Allah, the beauty of Allah's creation cannot be described with words.

The jogging path is lined with rows of rose plants, big trees and small  bushes. The whole park is decorated with different types of trees and plants. A green scenery bathed the park, showering peace and serenity on to the visitors of the park. While a few ladies in their sixties start their morning routine with slow jog, adults dashed around the jogging track, akin to flashes of lightning.

While Farra inhaled the cool, breezy morning wind, her eyes spotted two kids, clad in school uniform, cycling together. A boy and a girl, cycled slowly, side by side, engrossed in conversation. While the girl, wearing a thick ponytail ties with a white hairband cycled pass me, she saw her own reflection passing by her.

And the little boy, was an accurate reflection of a person she had been trying to remove from the folds of her brain. But then again, he seemed to be embedded in each of her brain cells.

Vicky.

We were buddies since school. Since my house was a few neighbourhoods away from his. He always waited at a T-junction near my home. From there, we cycled to school everyday. He loved to pick on my hairstyle, while I loved to pick on his weird, messed up hairdo.

We both never held secrets from each other. He knew everything about me, and I knew everything about him. That was what I thought.

He was my friend, best friend, sworn-enemy, study buddy, energy booster and my source of strength. Since I never knew what it means to be loved by a mother, he was also he who showers me with love. Unconditional love.

I ran to him whenever I was sad, and I ran to him whenever I was happy. Being a truly genuine person, he cared for me so deeply, he created a black hole in my heart, filled with particles carved in his initials. The problem is, black holes are infinite, and pretty mysterious, with no end or beginning. It leaves a void so deep in the fabric of space-time, shattering laws of physics in that realm.

That was me. I needed him. My heart and soul depended on him so much, I shatter without him being constantly by my side. Though his care was what made me pull through life all this while, I forgot that human beings are temporary. The leave, die or worse, they change. I forgot that we should not depend on anything or anyone but ourselves. I forgot that there was no such thing as unconditional love.

Then, life happened. He changed. While I held on to a perfect image of Vicky in my mind, I failed to grasp the fact that he was different than the "image" of him I hold on to.

I only realised this truth when the incident happened. By then, it was all too late.

Tears welled up around the sockets of her eyes. She closed her eyelids to stop herself from crying.

BUZZZZZ. BUZZZZZ. BUZZZZZ.

Farra snapped back to reality with the buzzing of her phone.

"Okay, it is Falisa again. Cmon, I just wanted some time for myself," Farra sighed heavily before picking up the call.

"What's up, Falisa?"

"Assalamualaikum"

"Woops sorry, waalaikumussalam."

"What's up, what's up. Are you omputeh(caucasian) or what."

"Haha okay, okay opah. I am sorry. What is the matter?"

"Where have thou went?"

"I'm at a park nearby, pumpkin."

"So aren't you coming back, mademoiselle? Your breakfast is waiting for you"

"Ooooo did you cook my favourite nasi lemak with sambal on the side?"

"Your head lah Farra. You are asking for a slap. Please, only healthy food at my house. I made tuna sandwich with lots of cucumber in it. How about that instead of nasi lemak?"

"Ughhhh boringgggg."

"Alright, alright. Come back fast okay, you will be travelling later."

Sigh. "Yes, okay."

She acked my handbag and hopped into her tiny, white Myvi and started the engine. The engine roared like a cub, and with much hesitation, she took off, not bothering to rev the engine at a housing area. She glanced at the park one last time, before pressing the accelerator.