A Smile On His Face.

Just because your life is a testIt does not meanYou can't live it to your best

It does not mean
You can't live it to your best

Eiden reached home safely. As much as he wanted to spend time with his friend, he also wanted to crash to bed and rest for the whole day. He was given one day off, and it has to be spent wisely. As such, he hurried back home after about two hours at his friend's house. He planned on catching up with the sleep he missed for the week. He has to qadha his sleep man.

Eiden cracked open the door to his room. He stole a quick glance to the door next to his. It was latched tight.

She might be sleeping. Let her rest.

Eiden stepped into his room, ready to get changed and hit the bed. It had been a habit of his to look, touch and hold the 3D structure of his home before sleeping. Everyday.

It was his home
That swam with memories
Mother, father, uncle, aunt
Sister, brother, nephew and nieces
Are all a part of the past
History to be forgotten
Myth to be forsaken

Once he changed into a black tee and a pair of comfortable, grey sweatpants, he gazed towards the side table at his room. The side table made out of teak wood was the exact replica of the one Farra's room, but hers is situated at the left of her room while his is set at the right of his room. Wait! Where is the 3D structure of his home? Where did he leave it? Think, Eiden, think. Where did you leave it? 

OH WAIT! He recalled where he left it. He left it at Farra's room while cleaning it up! "Wallahi, I need a slap on my face!" Eiden thought while pacing across his room. I need my home back! I will go to Farra and ask for it again!

"It's a girl's room, Eiden. You can't go in as you wish. Do you want her to think of you as a creep?" Eiden's heart questioned him. 

"I need my home back. I don't care who thinks of me as a creep, retard or a loser," his brain retorted. Eiden took a second to glance at his reflection in the mirror. He took a deep breath and told himself, "Okay, I don't look too bad. Here we go. Mission possible." He raised his clenched fist into the air and walked out.

Eiden strided out of his room confidently. He has to take back what was his. He did not care of Farra's impression on him. 

All his confidence evaporated once he arrived at Farra's doorstep. All the courage he mustered escaped from his chest when her face swam in his memory. He raised his hand to knock on her door, when hesitance washed over his body, freezing his hand. "Okay, what if she is sleeping? I don't want to disturb her sleep." 

At that instance, he heard a slow, soft voice, stuttering and stammering the way through Surah Qasas, aayah 24, from inside the room.

فَسَقَىٰ لَهُمَا ثُمَّ تَوَلَّىٰ إِلَى الظِّلِّ فَقَالَ رَبِّ إِنِّي لِمَا أَنزَلْتَ إِلَيَّ مِنْ خَيْرٍ فَقِيرٌ

So he watered [their flocks] for them; then he went back to the shade and said, "My Lord, indeed I am, for whatever good You would send down to me, in need."

For a moment, his heart melted at the calmness surrounding the voice. Though the owner of the voice was clearly not an expert in reciting the Quran, the voice held a vigour. It portrayed an enormous effort to read the Quran, albeit with mistakes. He regained his composure, and knocked thrice on the door, softly. The recitation stopped almost instantaneously and a moment later, the door of the room opened wide open.There she stood, with her purple-coloured prayer garments draping her whole physique. Is there such thing as an angel in purple? 

Farra looked at him with knitted eyebrows. Little, imaginary question marks appeared on top of her head. Eiden cleared his voice and spoke out. He wanted to sound as a tough as a lion, but when he spoke, his voice squeaked like that of a mouse. "I left something of mine in your room."a Honestly, his words didn't come out the way he wanted.

"The house, you mean?"

"Yes."

Farra hurried into the room, carried the delicate structure out with her nimble fingers. Eiden looked down to the floor, for perhaps the tiles have interesting stories to tell.

"Here you go, Eiden."

"Thank you, Farra."

Eiden wanted to dash to his room, when Farra's voice caught him by surprise.

"Eiden, can I ask you a question?"

Eiden turned around, puzzled look crossing across his face. His eyebrows were raised halfway across his forehead.

"Bella told me a little about your family. This structure, was your home, right?"

"Right." Eiden's answer was short and definite.

"How did you manage to pull yourself out of the mess life pulled you through? You lost your whole family except for two, you lost your home, and you are living in a foreign land you are unfamilliar with. But you don't show the intensity of your pain to anyone else. You, Bella and your mother are smiling as though your lives are perfect. How do you manage to be so strong?"

Eiden's face softened, a wide smile spread across his face...