Chapter 14: The Prayer Mat

I love it when life puts me downThat's when I learn to riseStronger than I had ever been

That's when I learn to rise
Stronger than I had ever been

Eiden's face softened, a wide smile spread across his face...

"It was tough, Farra. It was very, very tough. The day my family was killed, all I wanted to do was throw myself down the cliff and kill myself too. I was completely broken, and my heart was left.in smithereens. I would rather let go of my life than live without my family. It had been tough to hold on to nothing. But when I realised my mother was alive, I knew I had to summon the courage to live from where it doesn't exist. I had to build myself on a broken foundation."

" Ummi lost her strength, and as a child, I knew it was time I serve her. And I had to think about Belle too. She too is stranded on a foreign land. I can't imagine what would it be like for Belle to know that her whole family has died. I don't want to hurt her that way. If I were to just think about myself and choose death, who would be there for Belle and Ummi?"

"Aren't you angry with Allah for putting you through this pain?" questioned Farra.

"I was, I definitely was. There were times I completely felt like giving up on my Lord, Nauzubillahi min zaalik. But as time goes by, and when the pain starts receding, I had to tell myself that this life is just a test. Allah clearly mentioned about this in the Quran,

وَلَنَبْلُوَنَّكُمْ بِشَيْءٍ مِّنَ الْخَوفْ وَالْجُوعِ وَنَقْصٍ مِّنَ الأَمَوَالِ وَالأنفُسِ وَالثَّمَرَاتِ وَبَشِّرِ الصَّابِرِينَ

And most certainly shall We try you by means of danger, and hunger, and loss of worldly goods, of lives and of [labour's] fruits. But give glad tidings unto those who are patient in adversity 
(Surah Al-Baqarah, aayah 155)

Eiden proceeded to read the verse from memory, his eyes closed shut, appreciating every single word he uttered. He opened his eyes slowly, and tears welled up in his eyes. The smile on his face portrayed his courage, while the tears in his eyes blatantly spat out his vulnerability.

"Whatever it is that you are going through, just turn back to Allah, cry to Allah in your sujood. There is no source of strength better than on your prayer mat."

Eiden hurried into his room, while leaving Farra in a daze. He came out, holding a piece of cloth rolled like thick swiss roll. Eiden handed the piece of cloth to Farra.

"Here is a prayer mat for you. Let only this piece of mat see your pain, scars and tears. Let your source of strength emanate from here."

Farra unrolled the prayer mat, unveiling a beautiful, exquisite prayer mat, woven with strands of black and gold thread. An outline of Masjid An-Nabawi was sewn together by strands of thick, glittery gold. She touched the golden threads, and realised they were real gold. The prayer mat was a symbol of luxury, and would have costed this house she was standing in.

"EIDENNNN!!!"

Out of nowhere, Bella's voice echoed from the kitchen. Bella walked hurriedly towards Eiden and Farra.

"Eiden, what are you doing here?"

Bella's eyes fell on Eiden, then Farra.
Immediately, her lips crinkled into a naughty smile.

"Ooo, Eiden is talking to Farra huh? Wow, go on, go on," she remarked excitedly while winking her eyes to Eiden. Eiden's eyes widened in shock. Blood gushed through the blood cappilaries on his cheeks, turning his pale skin to the colour of fresh, red rose.

"Eh, no, I mean Farra was just asking me something..." Eiden's eyes darted from left to right with nervousness.

Bella leaned slightly on to the frame of the door, wearing a smirk.

"Really, Eiden? Are you sure?" Bella raised her eyebrow up and down, clearly enjoying Eiden's nervousness.

Eiden shook his head.

"Ah, you know what, I am dead tired, so I am going to nap, okay? Wake me up before the azan for Maghrib okay? Bye!" Eiden quickly pinched Bella's cheeks and dashed off into his room. He shut the door so fast, Bella was taken aback.

"Eiden, don't slam the door like that. I will kill you if the door breaks!"

"Sorry Belle darling," sounded a muffled voice from the other side of the room, his voice drowned out by the pillow.

Bella turned to Farra while shaking her head profusely.

Bella's voice dropped to a soft purr. "Sorry Farra, Imam Amir and I love to make fun of that boy. I hope you don't mind. He rarely talks to girls after Maimunah passed away, so whenever we see him talking to you, we will grab the chance to tease him. Don't tell him I told you this okay?" Bella's voice dropped to a whisper.

"Sorry Bella, who is Maimunah again?" Farra was genuinely confused.

"Oh, Eiden's fianceé. She was a doctor. She used to treat the injured Syrian fighters. The hospital she was working in was hit by a bomb, and she died along with her patients. She died a hero, the one who put her patients' life before hers," Bella looked away from Farra, and her eyes fell to the prayer mat Farra was holding. She held out her finger, pointing to the prayer mat.

"Who gave you that?" Bella asked, curiosity spilling through her words.

"Eiden." Farra answered honestly.

Bella gazed intently at the prayer mat, and after what seemed like hours, she finally looked into Farra's eyes. Her lips traced a thin line of smile.

"It was Maimunah's prayer mat. She gifted it to Eiden on their engagement. And now, it is in your hands. Hold on tightly to it, Farra," said Bella, turning onto her heels and slowly walking away. Farra could not decipher her words, as her words contained more mystery than the Pyramid of Giza.

P.s. Assalamualaikum dear readerssss. I hope you peepos are doing great. Please call me evil, because I killed Eiden' s fianceé too muahahhaha. Anyways, this chapter was particularly hard to write, because Eiden has to say something profound, and I had no ideas for "profound". Anyhow, hope you guys liked it. Thank you to ku_saif for the votes. All your votes and comments mean the world to me.

If you did like this chapter, don't forget to vote and comment. Love 💗💗💗