CHAPTER 1

I woke up from a sudden jolt on the floor. The sound of chains, machines and gears were heard echoing throughout the air. Where am I? I-I can’t remember anything! Who am I?! I peeled my eye lids open to find darkness around me, with the occasional light being shown from the walls. I’m...in some sort of metal box. How did I get here?! Why can’t I remember anything?! The box I was in was filled with barrels and boxes. And it seemed like this box was moving. Is this....an elevator?

“H-Hello?!”, I croak out while sitting up. No one else is here, I’m alone.

The elevator continues to rise up, and I could feel my head pounding and aching. I can’t even remember anything about myself. No memories, no sign of family or friends. But I can remember things that I don’t remember learning. Like I can remember how to ride a bike, but I don’t remember who taught me or who was with me.

“S-Someone get me out of here! Anyone!”, I yelled out.

I stood up on my feet and looked up, to see an ending to this elevator. The box jolted to a stop, making me fall back on my butt. It was silent for a few seconds, until I heard voices. It sounded like it was coming from outside of the ending of this elevator.

“P-Please...help me..”, my voice was still sore, I could hardly hear myself.

Suddenly, the ending of the elevator opened. Bright sunlight streamed in, making me shade my eyes with my hand. I squinted and the voices from before were now more louder and certainly closer.

“What greenie do we have now?”.

“Hopefully an older one. I’m so bored around here, being the oldest”.

“You have a lot of older friends! The trees are good listeners”.

I could hear a few conversations going on, but what did they mean by greenie? I’ve never heard that term before. A head popped into view, blocking a little bit of the sunlight. But I couldn’t make out the person’s features.

“It’s....a bloody girl?!”.

The accent sounded familiar to me, wasn’t it British? Yeah I’m pretty sure it is.

“A what?!”.

“How old is she?”.

“Is she cute?”.

“I got dibs!”.

“Shut your holes you shanks!”.

The voices went silent, and I heard more unfamiliar terms again. Shank? Another head popped into view and I stared at the two heads in fear and confusion. Why am I here? Who sent me?

“Hold on a sec, we’ll get you out”, a voice said and a rope dropped down into the box. It had a loop tied at the end, and looked like it had been worn out over time.

“Just grab the rope and we’ll pull you out!”, the voice said again.

I gulped and stood back up, walking over to the rope. I took hold of it and put my foot through the loop.

“R-Ready”, I croaked out. I hope they heard me.

The rope began to be pulled and I finally made it out the box. I was now standing on grass, feeling quite light-headed. I looked around and saw....about fifty boys. They were all different from each other, and looked dirty. They stared at me as if they had never seen a girl before.

“You alright?”, said a voice. I turned around and saw a dark-skinned boy looking at me with a permanent scowl on his face. I barely nodded. I then looked around and saw a grass field that was closed off by four grey walls. They rose high into the sky, so high you couldn’t see the sun. But it was bright around here.

“What’s your name?”, the same boy asked me.

“I-I don’t know...”, I said while looking down at my feet.

“It will come to you eventually, I’m Alby”, the boy said while crossing his arms over his chest. “And welcome to the Glade”.