CHAPTER 2

"G-Glade?", I repeated. "W-Why am I here? Why can't I remember anything?".

"Slow down, we'll answer all your questions soon. Well the ones we can answer. For now, just relax", the British boy reassured while smiling warmly.

"Alright shanks, back to work!", Alby said while turning to everyone. Slowly, the boys started to go back to different parts of the 'Glade'. Alby walked over to a poorly built wooden house, leaving me with the British boy.

"Name's Newt, little lady", he said while holding his hand out for a shake. I shook it nodded, gulping down my dry throat.

"I know you're confused. First things first, this is the Glade. For two years now we've been brought up by this box and forced to survive here. We don't know who sent us or why they did, but we've been trying to find our way out of here. Through those walls, is a maze that we believe has our exit out of this stupid place".

Newt was explaining all this stuff and it turned out that they were just as confused as I was. But I couldn't help but stare at him while he talked. He had dirty blonde hair that was swept to the side of his forehead. He also had dark brown eyes and had muscular arms. He was indeed, good looking.

"All our memories were wiped, and after a while we are able to remember our names. For the two years that we've been here, we've only ever been sent boys. But now, we've received a girl. That's why all these shanks were gawking at you".

"W-What's a shank?", I asked.

"It basically means moron, in Gladers term. You'll get used to our terms in a while", Newt said while waving his hand. I nodded again.

"You're awfully quiet for a greenie. Usually greenies would be bursting with questions. Are you hurt?", Newt said while looking at me concerned.

"No, but what's a greenie? Why do you keep calling me that?", I asked again. I hope Newt isn't getting annoyed with me.

"A greenie basically means you're new. Like your a fresh bean among brown ones", Newt said while looking down at me. Did I mention that he's tall? Well he is. I nodded to show that I understood, and started to look around the Glade again.

More of the boys were staring at me, but I saw the boys doing certain jobs around this place. I saw some farm animals and a few other poorly built buildings, like the one Alby disappeared into before. I just couldn't stop staring at the huge walls that were around us.

"Why don't you leave through the maze? You want to get out right?", I asked while turning back to Newt. He cracked a smile at me.

"Course we want to leave. But at night, these doors close and Grievers start to roam the maze. No one has ever survived a night in the maze. Grievers will surely kill you if they find you. But during the day, we have our Runners go out and try to find a way out of here. But the walls in there change every night, so it's very difficult".

"What are Grievers?",I asked.

"Huge nasty buggers that are pretty terrifying to look at", Newt replied while staring out into the start of the maze.

This seems all very confusing. So you come here, completely clueless and the only way out is through a huge maze that has blood thirsty beasts roaming it at night. Now I'm stuck here with a bunch of teenage boys until we find a way out.

"I think I understand now...", I said. Newt smiled and put his hand on my shoulder.

"Don't worry, whatever your feeling, we've all been through it", he said. His smile was somehow, heart-warming.