CHAPTER 13

That night, I couldn't sleep. I found out that Michael had been told off by Alby for moving his sleeping arrangements. Now it was Braydon next to me. Zart said that we were friends so he told Alby to put Braydon next to me for further 'protection'. I stared up at the top of the small veranda made out of wood, thinking about this whole situation. Everyone else was asleep, well that's what I thought. Some snores were heard from the Gladers around me, while some slept silently. I glanced over at Braydon and saw him curled up in his sleeping bag, with his mouth covered from the it.

Braydon was a really nice kid. He was the gentle type and seemed to be mostly everybody's friend. He was quiet but had a charming characteristic. He was only 15, but looked to be 12. A lot like Newt if you ask me.

Speaking of Newt, I was worried about him. Minho tried talking to him before we all went to bed, but Newt just shook his head and walked away. I'm convinced that I made him like this, stressed and worried. I felt bad....really bad. Suddenly the idea of going out to run tomorrow didn't seem like a good idea. Especially if my mind would be occupied with Newt. Thomas even tried to talk to him, which he received a wave of Newt's hand and a 'don't worry, I'm fine'.

I looked over at where Newt should be, and I saw him awake as well. He was lying down with his arms behind his head. Newt looked like he was thinking also, staring up at the wooden ceiling.

"Can't sleep?", he startled me without even looking at me.

"Y-Yeah....just can't really get over this place", I said while looking over at him.

"I know what you mean. I never really got used to it. Even after two years....", he exclaimed.

"Newt.....about earlier, I'm sorry if I upset you-".

"You didn't. It's not you.... it's bloody everything else at the moment", Newt said while creasing his eyebrows, in a worried face.

"Everything else?", I repeated confused.

"Yeah.... everything's changin'. The Greenie after Greenie, one's a girl. A dead Griever showin' up. It's just over-whelming, for all of us. Especially Alby....", Newt said before sighing."You should sleep, you'll need it for tomorrow".

Newt then turned his head slightly towards me, before cracking a smile. But it looked sad and lonely, with a tweak of hopelessness. Newt face just reminded me of denial and helplessness. The Glade was obviously not the place of relaxation and vacations.

"Newt....you're not alone you know. You can ask for help. You don't have to put all this on yourself", I stated while sitting up on my elbows. Newt's face looked startled for a second, before his lips spread into a genuine smile. Only this one was real and not forced.

"I know. I'm not alone. I have others with me. I used to ignore the true fact.... until you came".

This caught me by surprise. Me? Newt seemed so cheerful and mature around here, but really, he was still only a boy. Scared and confused, just as anyone else around here. He needs to be taken care of aswell.

"Sleep now, Minho'll be gettin' you up early when the doors open", Newt smiled again, before turning over, and becoming silent.

I finally felt my eyelids drop, and I fell asleep with a small smile on my face.

------

Sorry it's so short :P