CHAPTER 14

I woke up to someone shaking my shoulder, and a faint calling of my name. I groggily opened my eyes to see Minho's face way to close to mine. It startled me, so I jerked my head up and bumped foreheads with his. He yelped and fell back on his butt, hitting someone else behind him. The person groaned and punched him in the back. I sat up in shock and turned around.

"Oh Minho! I'm sorry! You scared me!", I said. Minho rubbed his forehead while narrowing his eyes at me.

"You're lucky you're a shucking girl, or I would of beat you up by now...", he grumbled and stood up. He gave me his hand to help myself up, which I took gratefully.

"Really, I'm sorry", I repeated while following him to the kitchen area. Minho sighed and looked over his shoulder, with a grin on his face.

"Hey don't worry about it. I'm just messin' with ya'", Minho reassured. I sighed in relief and nodded.

We arrived at the kitchen and walked to Frypan, who was still making more plates for breakfast. He set out two meals for us and flashed me a smile. I smiled back and followed Minho to our now usual table. I saw Newt eating his breakfast with some other Runners, but I noticed he did look a lot better than yesterday. Newt was now laughing and cracking jokes with his friends. My heart-warmed to see him in his happier state. Minho took a seat next to another Runner while I took the seat next to Newt. He turned to me and smiled at me.

"Mornin'", He greeted.

"Morning", I said back while starting to eat. The atmosphere was lighter and happier than gloomy and sad days.

"So are you excited for your running experience?", he asked while eating. I nodded.

"A little nervous though...".

"Ah I wouldn't expect you not to be. You've got guts for comin' out with us today Mick", a voice said while sitting down beside me. I was surprised to see Alby beside me. I forgot! He was coming with us today!

"Oh.....thanks?", I said unsure on how to reply. Alby actually cracked a smile before patting me on the shoulder.

"If you ain't scared, you ain't human girly", he said before eating. All the others laughed before turning back to their coversations, and for once in all the time I've been here, I felt like a real Glader.

After breakfast, Minho me to get dressed in certain clothes. Ones that won't slow me down when running. So I just put on a blue short-sleeved shirt, with shorts. He then gave me some fancy shoes, meant for running especially. He also talked about Running Underwear, but I didn't need it because I'm a girl, meaning I don't have the right 'parts' to need the underwear. Thank god for that. Minho also gave me watch and some sort of backpack, that could only fit a water bottle and a small lunch. Newt then came over and gave me an elastic band that came in the Box with Thomas. Apparently a whole box was meant for me, full of 'girl' supplies. I tied my hair back with the band and was ready for running.

We went to the entrance and waited for the doors to open. Alby and Minho were having a serious talk, while casting glances at me. It was obvious they were talking about me, probably about 'keeping me safe' stuff. Meanwhile, Newt was checking me all over to make sure I had everything I needed.

"Now make sure you'll be careful alright?", he reassured for the 100th time today.

"I will Newt, you don't have to keep telling me", I said while playfully rolling my eyes. But he didn't take this as a funny situation, he blinked and he looked really worried.

"I mean it Mickey. Just....stay out of trouble", Newt said while putting both his hands on my shoulders. I dropped my smile, and nodded. He then brought me in for a hug and squeezed me tightly into his chest.

"I will....", I said back while hugging his waist.

"Come on Mick, we need to start headin' off", Alby called and I let go of Newt, quickly running over to him. We then started to run once the doors opened, and I could see Newt's face drop more with every step I ran.