CHAPTER 9

Everyone ran over to the Box and waited for any sign of living form inside it. There was a lot of chatter heard around and many questions were asked that I wanted to know aswell. I found my way to where Chuck stood and saw him looking around confused aswell. If I remember correctly, Newt said a newbie comes every month, not every week or day. So why is there one coming today? I only arrived a few days ago!

"Everyone slim it!", I heard Alby yell from the front. Everyone eventually quietened down and the alarm stopped. "Alright, now everyone better be shuckin' quiet! I don't know why we're getting a Newbie so early, but that doesn't mean we're loosin' our shucking order!".

We waited for a while around the Box, now only slight chatters around the Glade. Of course everyone stopped working, but at least they weren't running around like a bunch of headless chooks. I did start a conversation with Chuck for a while but it soon died off since there was nothing really to talk about, besides these current events at this very moment.

Soon enough, the metal doors slipped open and everyone leaned over the railing to get a look at the new Greenie. I was actually hoping for it to be another girl. It's really uncomfortable to be the only female around here. You have to watch your back alllll the time. Especially from Minho. Sneaky prick tried to watch me go to the showers the other morning! Needless to say that I told Newt AND Alby.

A boy was sitting down in the box, looking as confused as I was. He was blocking the sunlight with his hand infront of his face, and looked about the same age as me. Everyone kind of groaned when they saw it was just another boy in the Box, and not a girl. Some of the Gladers flickered their gazes at me, before turning back to the Box. Gally jumped down and pulled the Greenie out the Box and on to the grass. He stood up while staggering, before regaining his balance and looking around.

"Shank gonna break his neck from lookin' around so fast", Gally snickered while some others laughed. Why is Gally such a dick? Why can't he just mind his own god damn business?

"Welcome to the Glade, I know your confused but you'll just have to wait for The Tour", Alby said before walking away, but before he left he shot a glare towards me. "Keepers, we're havin' a Gathering, you too Mickey".

What does he want now? I turned to look at the new Greenie, and saw him staring at me. A blinked at him, before following Alby. Newt soon caught up and limped beside me. He looked confused as well but turned to me with a small smile.

"You alright?", he asked. I nodded while looking down at my feet.

We walked into the Homestead and into a room with chairs in a semi-circle and one infront of them. Everyone took a chair and the only one left was the one in the middle, so I hesitantly sat on it.Alby sat directly infront of me which made me uncomfortable, while Newt sat next to him and Minho next to him, who had come back from the Maze earlier today.

"What do you know about the Greenie?", Alby immediately asked. Wait what?!Are they accusing me of something?! I just got here!

"About him? I've never seen him before, just like you guys. What's with the sudden accusing?", I asked while pointing at myself with a shaky finger.

"Well it's not a coincidence that we get two new Greenies in a span of a week, and one of them is a girl", Alby said while narrowing his eyes at me. I sighed.

"Well I don't know anything. I've never seen that boy before", I said while leaning back in my seat. Alby soon sighed and turned to the other people in the room, who he called Keepers. I'm guessing they were the main leaders of the Glade.

"What do you guys think then?", Alby stated. Everyone looked at each other confused, before shrugging.

"Well it is kinda strange to have two Newbies show up in the same week, but they both seem just as clueless as anyone else here. It's the Creators who are changing it", Zart said while putting his arms behind his head and resting his head on them. Much to my relief, everyone agreed with that idea, except Gally who glared at me.

"I don't think so. It is definitely suspicious that these two just happen to show up at the same time", Gally said while standing up in his seat.

"Okay then, where's your bloody proof?", Newt said while raising an eyebrow at him. Gally stopped, before shrinking back into his seat with a scowl.

"Alright, Gathering's over", Alby said while standing up and walking out, without another word. Everyone started to leave, but Newt and Minho waited for me by the door. I saw Alby go over to the Greenie and started to give him The Tour.

"Come on, you need to get back to work. And Minho, why are you back so early anyway?", Newt said while looking up at him.

"Oh yeah I remember why I came back early now! I found a dead one!", Minho said while suddenly getting excited. I was confused, a dead what?

"A dead what?", Newt asked what was on my mind.

"A dead Griever".