CHAPTER 24

Dinner came sooner than expected. Nothing much was going on in the Glade, so I helped out Frypan. He was happy to have a helping hand, and  made chicken and mashed potatoes with me. Newt soon came by and sat down to talk. Frypan and him conversed for a while, and I soon talked with them as well.

"NEWT!!".

We all turned and saw Zart running towards us with a panicked expression. What's going on? Did something happen? Newt stood up and met Zart half way. They talked for a minute, and Newt's confused expression turned into shocked one. I left Frypan and walked up to them. They turned to me.

"What happened?", I asked them.

"Braydon has been flattened by a wall that feel from one of buildings!", Newt said before quickly limping away.

Braydon?! Oh my god what the hell happened?! I ran after Newt and Zart followed. I saw a few Gladers gathered around a long wooden board, that seemed to be propped up on something. There was groans of pain coming from under it and I realised it was Braydon. Everyone was staring at the board, shocked and not knowing what to do.

"Don't just stand there like a bunch of slintheads! Help him!", yelled Newt.

A few Gladers soon started to lift up the board with the help of each other. I quickly ran over and got on my knees and lowered my head to see Braydon bloody under the board. I out-stretched my arm and encouraged him to take it. His usual baby face was in pain, dirty and a few strips of blood poured down it.

"Come on Braydon!", I yelled at him.

He soon reached out and I grabbed his hand. I felt how weak his grip was, and I used all my strength to pull him out. He yelped in pain but used the rest of his strength to wiggle out from under the board. He soon was out from the board, and he laid on his back, groaning and only barely awake. Clint and Jeff came over and observed him.

"He's broken his shoulder and he's broken a rib. We need to get 'em to the Homestead, quick!", Jeff said. "Quickly, get a another board or a table".

A few boys ran off to search for a board or table, while Braydon continued to moan in pain. I crouched down beside him and put both my hands on the sides of his face. He looked up at me and blinked slowly, stopping his groaning.

"M-Mickey...", his voice was weak and forced.

"Stay awake Braydon, you'll be fine", I said while feeling tears coming to my eyes.

He was just a boy for god sakes! Braydon was such a nice kid and didn't deserve to be hurt in anyway. I felt so sorry for him. These Creators are freaking getting on my nerves. They lock us up in here, kill some of us and turn the sky bloody grey!

The boys came back and helped Braydon on to the board. They picked him up and hurried off to the Homestead. I was going to follow, when Newt put his hand on my shoulder, shaking his head. I felt tears run down my cheeks, remembering Braydon's groans and his bloody face. Newt turned me around and pulled me in for a warm hug. I wrapped my arms around his waist and cried into his chest. I felt Newt's chin on the top of my head. I sniffled and turned my head to the side, leaning it against his chest.

"You okay Mick?", Newt said softly while stroking the back of my head.

"I-I guess....", I said while pulling away and wiping my cheeks. Newt leaves his hands on my shoulders and looked down at me concerned.

"I'm sure he will be fine. Braydon's tougher than he looks", Newt reassured. I nodded and buried my face back into Newt's chest. He didn't resist and hugged me back, just like before.

Braydon better live through this....