CHAPTER 35

I was able to get to my feet after a minute of sitting down. My hearing was slowly returning, but was still mumbled when someone spoke to me. My head was pounding from the cut that had been scared on to my temple.  But I made it over to Chuck and helped him with the computer. It had a few access keys showing, which you needed to type in.

"What the shuck could be the key?", Chuck said, which only came out as a mumble to my ear.

I heard moaning and shrieking again, so I turned and saw that a Griever had entered through the square that was the passage to here. Thomas held out his spear and started to try and stab at it. I started to panic and tried to think about what the access key could be.

"HURRY UP GUYS! DO SOMETHIN'!", yelled Thomas while he frantically fought off the monster.

I then realised that the access key had spaces for what seemed like words. It hit me like a ton of bricks. The six words! The ones that the Maze formed over and over again. I didn't have time to explain to Chuck, so I stepped in front of the keyboard and started to type in the words. But my hands were shaking from my fear, panic and the throbbing in my head.

FLOAT
CATCH
BLEED
DEATH
STIFF

That was it! There was no other space for the last word 'PUSH'! And it wouldn't let me pass through without one last step! I freaked out again and started to try and re-type 'PUSH' over and over again.

"Push isn't working! It won't let me enter the last word of the six words Thomas!", I yelled while still trying.

"What about that?! Kill the Maze?!", Chuck said while pointing to a button that was on the wall beside the computer. It had 'Kill the Maze' written on it. I rushed over to it and slammed my hand down on it.

The Griever that was fighting Thomas, stopped moving and collapsed to the floor. It was almost like it powered down, just like a computer or robot. That's it. Push was to push the button. It's done, no more Maze.... right?

Thomas turned around and looked at us, covered in dirt and cuts from the battle. I then saw people jumping through the square on the ceiling. Frypan appeared, then Clint, then Minho. A few others came down, but much less than what we started with. We had 40 before..... down to about 20. We lost half. Newt then jumped down through the square, making relief rush through me. He's alive. Thank the lord he's alive.

"Mickey...", he said while turning to me.

I couldn't help but speed walk over to him, and immediately hug his waist. I buried my face into his chest and let out the biggest sigh of relief. Newt didn't hold back at all, and hugged me back with just as much grip. I can't explain how glad I am that he's alive. I was so afraid I was going to loose him today.

"Alright yeah we all love each other, but we need to find a way out of this place", I heard Minho say.

I pulled apart from Newt and looked up at him. He had several cuts all of his face, but nothing major. He looked down at me but switched his eyes to the side of my head. He reached his hand up and cupped the wound that was on my temple. I winced at the sensitive feeling, but Newt was careful.

"Do you have any other injuries?", he asked me. Well, I might as well tell him...

"Yeah.... my hearing has become real bad. I was hit against a wall before and it must of hit a spot on my head that knocked out my hearing. It's come back now..... but only in one ear", I explained. Newt turned my head to side and looked into my ear.

"Can you hear in this one?", he asked. I nodded. He then switched the sides of my head and spoke in the other one.

I didn't respond, because I didn't hear anything he said. It was my left ear that was now useless. I couldn't even hear Minho's blabbering with that ear. Newt turned back to face me and concern was written all over his face.

"I think you may have become deaf in one ear Mick....", he said.

"Come on!", Minho yelled while walking away and down a hall that Thomas said he heard a door open from.

Newt and I decided that we'd talk later and followed the rest of the group to the door, hands in-laced with each other. Deaf in one ear? Was the impact really that bad? Will I ever be able to hear in that ear again? It's going to be real frustrating, but I should at least have hope to see if I meet my new family. The ones that I have forgotten because of the Creators. Maybe I'd be able to get surgery to get my ear fixed.

New family.... actual answers.... sounds good to me

----------------------
The next chapter will be the last chapter..... for book 1 :)