CHAPTER 12

I found out later that day that Thomas was attacked by a Glader who was crazy from the Changing, which occurred from being stung from a Griever. His name is Ben and apparently he tried to kill Thomas, saying he was bad and should be killed for working with the Creators. Alby apparently shot an arrow at him and it went right through his cheek. They thought he had killed him, but he wasn't dead. Something called a Banishing was happening for him. I heard Newt say banishing before...what exactly is that?

Speaking of Newt, he hadn't talked me for the rest of the day. Did I upset him? He seemed pretty distant and annoyed after he asked me if I kissed Minho. Now I feel bad. I didn't mean to! But I'm desperate to become a Runner and Minho is giving me the chance!

It was now just passed Dinner time and everyone was gathering at the walls of the Maze. What's going on? I saw Thomas standing there at the back, also looking confused. I walked over to him and stood beside him. He glanced at me, before looking back at the front of the crowd. I was too short to see, since all these guys are taller than me.

"What's going on?", I whispered to Thomas. He shrugged and looked even more confused.

"You tell me", he said while still looking.

I heard a door slam shut from behind me, so I turned and saw Minho basically dragging someone out the Homestead. The person had a thick bandage around his face and he looked like he was trembling in fear. Minho looked blank. It was almost as if his emotions just disappeared. What exactly is going on?!

Minho went to the front of the crowd and pushed the person to their knees. I then realised, it was Ben. His shoulders shook out of fear and it sounded like he was weeping. I was just able to see over someone's shoulder, and saw Alby standing above Ben with a scowl on his face.

"Newt....grab the pole", he barely said and Newt slowly walked over to the Homestead. His face was like Minho's, blank and emotionless.

Before he made it to the Homestead, he casted his gaze towards me, and I saw that his eyes were looking sad and in slight pain. He then quickly turned away, before disappearing into the Homestead. I turned back to the scene a head and saw Ben still crying and pleading to be set free.

"P-Please...let me go! I didn't mean to! I would o-of never actually killed him!", Ben yelled out while Alby stared down at him with a look of shame and disappointment.

Newt appeared again with four poles in his hand. He started to attach them to each other, before on the end of them, was a leather collar. What the hell is this?! Alby took the pool from Newt and tied to collar around Ben's neck. He then stood back and held the pole out infront of him, with Ben attached to it. Ben started to struggle and thrash around, screaming for someone to help him. The scene was actually bringing tears to my eyes, and my chest started to ache.

"PLEASE! SOMEONE HELP ME! YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME!", he continued to scream. I looked over at Thomas, and saw he was the same as me. Watching with horror and his eyes glistened with tears.

"Slim it!", Alby yelled while trying to keep good grip of the pole. "Ben of the Builders, you are Banished from the Glade for attempted murder of the Greenie. You ain't coming back. Ever".

The doors began to close, making the ground rumble and wind blow out from the entrance. Alby then began to push Ben forward, slowly making his way through the doors. Everyone was silent, besides the screams of help coming from Ben. I was almost ready to rush in and stop all this, when Thomas grabbed my arm, pulling me back and stiffly shaking his head. I gulped and looked back at the scene, to see Ben already in the corridor of the maze. The doors were so close to closing, when Alby pulled out the pole, making one part of it with the collar disconnect and be left with Ben. The doors were then shut, and Ben's screams were cut off.

That's.....a Banishing? They leave someone in the maze and to be killed by the Grievers? That is...terrible.

Everyone started to separate and go back to either the Homestead, or other parts of the Glade. Thomas and I stayed where we were, completely astounded by what had just happened. Minho walked past be, going to the sleeping area, when he turned and cracked a smile at me. It didn't change my mood at all, and I just stared at the closed walls in disbelief.

"You okay Mick?", he asked while putting his hand on my shoulder. I barely nodded my head. "I know that was pretty shucking scary. Shouldn't have to see that. You're taking it better than the Greenie though....".

I turned and saw Thomas was sitting down at a tree, starting to cry into his hands. I can't imagine what he must be feeling right now. He got Ben banished, for good. I felt sorry for him, so I was going to go over, when I saw Chuck went over to him instead. I decided against it, and followed Minho to the sleeping area.