CHAPTER 5

I couldn't take my eyes off the window, almost like I was waiting for another Griever to conveniently pass by. Newt soon let the ivy fall back on the window, snapping me out of my day dream. These blood-thirsty things were lurking around in the Maze, so close to killing everyone here. I don't understand how these guys can continue with their lives in the Glade without any fear what so ever.

"Come on, we should at least have a bloody breakfast while we're awake", Newt said while turning around and starting to limp his way over to the kitchen area. I soon followed him and got a meal from Frypan, who greeted me with a friendly smile. We sat down at a picnic table and started to eat in a somehow comfortable silence.

After a while, Minho plonked himself down beside Newt with his meal. He looked tired and half asleep. Runners apparently need to get earlier than everyone else so they can leave when the Maze doors first open. But Minho was grumbling, obviously not happy about it.

"Someone's pooped", Newt stated the obvious, earning a growl and a glare from Minho. Of course, Newt didn't take it to heart and laughed slightly.

"Don't make fun of me so early in the morning. I didn't get much sleep last night, thanks to the shank named Gally", Minho said while lazily eating his scrambled eggs.

"What did he do this time?", Newt asked while sighing slightly.

"He shut up about the greenie over here. He kept on talkin' about how we should banish her for good", Minho said while nudging his hand towards me. What? Banishing me? What does that mean?

"What the bloody hell is wrong with him?! He seems to think that whenever something is unique or out of the ordinary, he wants to take it upon himself to change it back?!", Newt said while raising his voice slightly. For some reason, my heart started to beat faster when he said 'unique'. Call me self-centred, but I have a feeling he was referring to me....

"Can you be a little bit more quieter Newt? I think Minho's head is about to explode", I said while gesturing to the wincing Minho. Newt had kind of screamed in his ear.

Newt sighed and continued to eat his breakfast. He seemed irritated for the rest of the morning, which kind of put me down also. We saw Minho off with his other comrades and watched them run into the Maze. I couldn't help but remember the sight of the Griever from earlier, and how the Runners can still go out there.

Alby soon came along and told me that I needed to start working. He was kind enough for me to miss out on the Slicers, somehow knowing it wasn't my taste at all. He told me that I'd be going to work Frypan for the day, which wasn't as bad as it sounds. At least I knew Frypan, making it feel more of friendly environment and not a flirty environment.

"So first, I need ya' to show me what ya' know about any type of cooking. This includes baking, frying, boiling and just basic chopping. Is there any foods ya' want to start off with?", Frypan said. He seemed like a pretty chilled and laid back kind of guy.

"Ummm I guess I could try and make a normal sandwich. Would that be enough?", I asked hopefully. For some reason, I felt confident about a sandwich.

"Sure. Ya' can put whatever is in the fridge or cupboard in it. Just...try not to poison us", Frypan said a little nervously. I laughed at him and said that I wouldn't.

I started to grab some ingredients from the fridge and cupboard. Frypan did say earlier that my food would be served to the Gladers for Dinner, so I had enough of practise to get it right. I decided that I'd make a bacon and egg sandwich. And I was 'generous' enough to give the Gladers the selection of either ketchup (tomato sauce) or BBQ sauce. It took me a while to cook the eggs, but I did it successfully and put them evenly into the sandwiches. I didn't have the time to do the bacon, because it was almost time for Lunch break. Time went rather fast if you ask me.

"Time for Lunch Mickey", Frypan said while putting out the plates of Lunch meals for the Gladers. I nodded and hid the sandwiches to surprise the Gladers for later.

One by one, the Gladers started to come in and take a plate and sitting down with their friends. I saw Gally walk in and he glared at me as soon as he saw me. I blinked at him and he walked away, with a scowl on his face. I don't get why he's so against me. Talk about being sexist.