1661-1670

Chapter 1661: Refining the Profound Sword Qi

All of a sudden, Jian Chen felt like he no longer had much time left in this world after agreeing with the Spiritking's suggestion go to the Saints' World together. His departure would be much sooner than expected.

As a result, Jian Chen valued every single day of the remaining time even more. He spent even more time by his parent's and wives' sides. Apart from them, he also visited his old friends frequently, such as Qin Xiao, Tianmu Ling, Qin Ji, Dugu Feng, and so on. Several decades had passed, so the status of his old friends had undergone drastic changes. Whenever they gathered together and spoke about matters of the past, they would all sigh as reminiscence flooded their eyes.

Five days later, Jian Chen heard some heartbreaking news. Kendall's wife, Shen Fang, passed away. During her funeral, Jian Chen appeared with his wives, Changyang Ba, and Bi Yuntian to send her off one last time. Initially, it was supposed to be a very ordinary funeral, but with Jian Chen and everyone else's appearance, her funeral became an extremely great matter, raising the attention of many across the world and apparently caused quite the uproar.

Many fighters in this world all sighed emotionally. Shen Fang was a mortal, yet her funeral could actually draw the personal attendance of sovereign Jian Chen. What a great honor was that? Some people even said that if they could enjoy something like that when they died, they would end their lives right now without any hesitation at all.

Shen Fang's departure had caused quite a few people to feel envious, as well as quite a lot of regret. They were envious about her friendship with sovereign Jian Chen and regretful over how she had such a great but short life.

Sans mourned for his mother as he personally buried her. He remained remarkably calm throughout the entire process. He did not cry or show any sadness, but his silence gave away the grief he hid inside.

Seven days later, Shen Fang's funeral came to an end. Jian Chen comforted Sans and was about to leave.

"Captain, I want to leave the Flame Mercenaries. Please accept my departure," at this moment, Sans knelt down and pleaded Jian Chen.

Jian Chen paused before turning around and looking at Sans with mixed feelings. He sighed gently, "Sans, your father personally founded the Flame Mercenaries. They are the memories of your father, so how can you leave? Also, I intended for you to inherit the position of captain, except your current strength and prestige in the Flame Mercenaries would definitely lead to the dissatisfaction of many if I passed it on too soon, which is why I still haven't done that. I planned to pass on the position at a suitable time once you've earned your own prestige. You would be the captain of the Flame Mercenaries at that time."

Sans shook his head, "Captain, I don't want to inherit the position of captain. Although my father personally founded the Flame Mercenaries, you were the one who did all the development. It had nothing to do with my father. How can I inherit the position of captain? Please revoke it, captain."

Jian Chen suddenly became stern after hearing Sans' words. He said with a gruff voice, "Sans, do you know what kind of organisation the Flame Mercenaries has now become on the continent? The position of captain is enough to make countless people green with envy, yet you don't care about it at all. If your father knew about this, he would not be able to rest easy in the afterlife."

Sans knelt on the ground and pushed his head deeply into the ground. He said sorrowfully, "Captain, I'm sorry. I've disappointed you and let you down. I've let down all the years of support you've provided me across the years. You can only blame me for my lack of ambition and ability. The passing of my mother has made me let go of a lot of things in the world. Now, I no longer wish for any glory on the Tian Yuan Continent. I only want to manage this inn because it's the only thing that my mother has left to me. It contains the memories of my mother. Captain, please accept my resignation from the Flame Mercenaries."