Ch. 11

"Do we have a problem here?"

A third party interrupted the beginnings of what almost became World War 3.

It was Chan.

"Mr. Bang," Hwall exclaimed, while extending a hand. "Good evening." His greeting, though seemingly warm and genuine, was tinted with a hint of poison. Hwall's dark eyes glinted with a bit of mischief. Chan shook the young man's hand firmly.

Your fiance was flanked by Woojin and Changbin. This guard formation wasn't surprising to you, since Chan was a mafia boss, after all. However, you were caught off guard by the three's expressions. Similar to your cousins', their faces were grim and stoic.

Weird.

Soobin instinctively took a step backward. It was quite obvious that he wasn't the alpha male of the situation anymore. Your male relatives followed suit. Kai gently pushed you back, and Taehyun discreetly hid your body behind him.

Chan, Woojin, and Changbin then assumed the front positions.

The five began to converse. Unfortunately, you couldn't hear shit, so you had to see the emotions displayed on your cousins' faces to interpret whatever was going on. However, their unchanging, serious faces made interpretation near impossible.

Your eyes found its way back Kevin's, who was listening to the conversation, his eyebrows furrowed in attention. He must've felt your gaze, because his orbs strayed away and caught yours. His expression softened, and he gave you a slight shrug.

He probably doesn't know what's going on either, you thought.

Not too long after, the conversation ended, and the two groups parted ways. Before you could bid your new friend a goodbye, Yeonjun took your elbow and led you away. Younghoon pulled Kevin in the opposite direction as well.

Once the three members of the BOY-Z were out of hearing-range, Changbin spoke up, "(Y/N), do you know who that young man was?"

The members seemed to be very intent on your answer, since they all took you seriously for once. You nodded, "I kind of just met him tonight. All I know is that his name is Kevin Moon and that he's a member of BOY-Z."

Your response seemed to be a valid answer, as all the boys nodded. After all, you weren't one to flirt with guys you just met and get their numbers. If anything, it was a near miracle that a male approached you first. At a finger foods table. Holy mother of Christ.

Soobin's lips pursed, "Look, (Y/N)," he said in a hushed tone. "We recommend that you keep your guard up with him."

Your eyebrows furrowed in confusion. What the hell? You fought back your annoyance, "Why can't I hang out with him? He seems nice." Based off their looks, your statement wouldn't faze them. But, you still gave it a try. Kevin seemed to be your only link to the outside world--the place where things were actually... normal. Plus, you were tired of men telling you what to do. It was time you made your own decisions.

Attempting once more, you slightly raised your voice, "What is up with all of you, anyway? It's like you just saw someone die when Hwall and Younghoon arrived." Chan tightened his jaw. It was clear that he was losing his patience for your persistent curiosity.

The mafia boss finally spoke up, "Look, this Kevin Moon is just like you. Fresh and new to the underground. As for the BOY-Z, they're just like SKZ. We're competing to be the most powerful rookie mafias here. But your grandfather's syndicate is allies with them so I'd rather not get on their bad side."

You were a bit taken aback at his tone. It was rushed and informational, like a teacher's. His husky voice also made you a bit distracted. So was the fitted Armani suit. And his perfectly-styled chocolate brown hair. His cologne's mixed scent of vanilla, citrus, and mint wasn't helping you either. But, then again, this was just another college lecture. You forced your brain to concentrate on the serious matter.