que formal

question of the chapter (not really a question): link me to some really good shawn stories either here or dm me or put them on my profile! i need some new stories!

incase u care, i'll do a post linking some of my favorites too!

~a~

after a ton of convincing of penelope and andrew, shawn and i were finally given the go on flying down to miami for the week. part of me was extremely nervous for shawn to be visiting my hometown, my mom, and my abuela. it made this more real than i wanted it to be, but it was the only way that we'd be able to just take a whole week off of our busy lives.

shawn and i were in a car on our way to the airport. i knew the minute we stepped foot into LAX the headlines everywhere would be about how shawn was coming home to miami with me. penelope was extremely excited about that one.

"you ok?", shawn asked from beside me.

glancing back over at him, i gave him a small smile and nod. in response, he placed his hand onto of mine and started rubbing small circles; and some how this calmed me down. it was crazy how well he had gotten to know me, and vice versa, in the last few weeks. we were both able to easily pick up on when the other was anxious or stressed, and somehow both had the power to calm each other down.

"ma we're home!", i yelled pushing open the door to my childhood home.
shawn and i rolled our suitcases in the living room, and i watched as he took in his surroundings.
"mi niña!," my abuela came rushing over to hug me. "how are you mi amor?" she said pulling away.

"i'm good abuela," i smiled. "oh abuela this is shawn."
i motioned towards the smiley boy standing next to me.

"hi mrs. vega," he politely shook abuela's hand, "thank you for letting me stay here."

abuela started waving her hands dismissively, "nonsense niño, call me lola.", she smiled at him, holding his hands in hers. she then turned to me and smirked, "wow él es guapo y un caballero. buena selección cariño." she winked at me. (translation: wow he's good-looking and a gentleman. good pick sweetheart.)

my eyes widened and i was immediately thankful that shawn barely knew spanish. "where's mom?" i quickly changed the subject.
"mom's here!," she came rushing in, "sorry i was on the phone with the mechanic something wrong with the car," she groaned.

"hi my baby," she engulfed me in a hug and i instantly felt better than i had all week.
"hi mama," i exhaled.
we pulled away and she looked over at shawn and smiled, "i have heard lots about you and it's so nice to finally meet you shawn!" she smiled.

"oh please the pleasure is all mine mrs. vega," he smiled.

"que formal," my abuela laughed. "mrs. vega."

"please call me jennifer," she smiled, "let's get you two settled and we can have lunch! maya you're in your room." she gave me a soft smile.
because abuela thought we were really dating we were both going to be sleeping in my bedroom.
"follow me," i said to shawn, as i led him down the hall to my bedroom.
as i opened the door i turned to face shawn, "so because we're, you know, dating, it'd be weird if i didn't sleep in the same bed as you, but if this makes you uncomfortable i can sleep on the couch and just sneak back in in the morning before my abuela gets up—" i began rambling but of course shawn cut me off with a light chuckle.
"you're cute when you ramble," he smirked, causing me to roll my eyes, "but seriously amaya its fine. as long as you don't kick or snore this time we'll be good."

"this time?!" i gasped, "when have i ever kicked or snored you ass," i placed a hand on my hip, my mouth agape.

"eh," he shrugged and winked.

"you're an ass," i rolled my eyes playfully.

"i'm a what?" he stopped in his tracks and turned to me.

"an ass. A S S." i turned around to open my suitcase but his arms immediately wrapped around my waist to throw me on the bed, as he began tickling me.
"now what did you say i was?!" he began laughing devilishly.

"you fucker," i said between giggles, "get off of me!"

he began laughing hysterically, probably watching me squirm, "say shawn mendes is the best boyfriend ever!"

i began flailing to try and get him off of me, but eventually gave up because he was way stronger than i was. "FINE. shawn mendes is the best boyfriend ever! now get off of me PLEASE!"

he laughed but then finally stopped tickling me, as he rolled beside me. we were both laying face up on my bed; the sound of our breathing was the only thing heard.
"damn i should've recorded that," he said slyly.
"if you so much as touch me mendes i'll slap you," i said shooting him daggers.
he just laughed in response.
a comfortable silence loomed the air again, but a few moments later shawn broke it again.
"your mom and abuela are really nice." i felt him smile from his voice.
"yeah, they're the best," i sighed.
"do you miss them a lot?," he asked, turning to lean on his arm facing me.

"always." i said not making eye contact in fear of crying, "they're the reason i have the life i have and i always feel so bad not being able to see them as much anymore," i sighed. "do you miss your family a lot?", i asked trying to get the subject off of me.

he smiled and nodded, facing the ceiling again, "everyday. i miss so many milestones in aaliyah's life that i hate being away." he sighed, "there's so many times where i just wanna drop everything and move back home, but i know id miss this too much."

another comfortable silence took over the room. for the millionth time this week, i felt so grateful to have shawn. in a way i felt like we had moved past trying to be friends because we actually were friends now. maybe even best friends? who knows. all i knew was that i was so grateful for him in this moment.

i turned my body to lean on his chest in order to give him a hug. "thank you for coming with me." i whispered.

his arms instantly found their way around my waist as he engulfed me into a hug. "don't thank me honey. i just wanted to see you happy."

i looked up at him a smiled, "who knew you could be so nice," i joked.

his smile turned into a frown really fast. "hey don't make me tickle you again," he pouted, causing me to hysterically laugh.

———————-