Chapter 12

Alpha 12

AN:  I watched Ironman 1 & 2, the avengers and ironman 3 while writing/ typing this.  I also put captain America the winter solider on hold at my library.  I still haven't seen it...

"Where do you want to start?"  Bunny asked Jack as they walked out of the pole and into the cold white tundra. 

"I think that's the first time I've used the door."  Jack said absentmindedly.  Then he realized that Bunny had asked him a question.  "We could start at the pole and move outwards?"  The assassin was unsure if he was answering the right question.

Bunny nodded.  "Good idea."

Jack sighed in relief that he answered the right question.  The assassin shifted and dug his claws into the snow.  The guardian of hope took a step back and blinked in surprise.  "That's gonna take some getting used to."  Bunny mumbled, but Jack's sensitive ears caught it.  "Get sniffing."  The white wolf nodded and started to sniff around.  "It's like I have a dog."  Bunny laughed.  The white wolf turned around and snarled. The other guardian yelped in surprise.  "Sorry, a very sassy wolf."  Bunny said with an annoyed look.  Jack just waved his tail and started to sniff again.  The white wolf found small bits of nightmare sand all over the snow with trails of scent coming and going in every direction.

The winter god shifted and flew up to the roof and shifted back to a wolf.  He started to sniff around the air vents and windows, but there was no scent of Pitch or his nightmares.  Jack padded over to the window Cap and he had entered through.

The window was fairly large, big enough for a horse to fit through with space to spare.  The alert light was blinking red indicating someone or thing had broke in.  Jack pushed on the glass with his paw.  The window swung open.  The lock was broken and was covered in nightmare sand scent, but Pitch's was nowhere to be found.  'The mares couldn't have pulled this off on their own'. Jack thought.  'Pitch would have to be here directing their every move.'  The wolf's claws ticked on the metal window sill as he jumped through the window into the rafters.

The Avengers and remaining guardians looked up to the rafters to see a pure white wolf cautiously walking across the beam sniffing as he went.  Sandy blinked in confusion and then he remembered that it was Jack. 

"Find anything?"  Thor called up to his brother.  The wolf turned his head to look at the window he came through. 

"Is that the point of entry?"  Loki asked.  The wolf nodded. 

"Oh!  That reminds me, there are locks and alarms on all the windows and doors.  They are all connected to a central computer."  North said. 

Jack cleared his throat.  Everyone looked up to Jack who was now human and sitting on the beam with his feet swinging back and forth.  "Not all the windows."  Jack said.  North raised an eye brow.  "The one I always fly through to the meetings, that one has no alarm or lock." 

"How do you know that?"  North asked. 

"A couple of hundred years ago before I stayed on earth, Thor, Loki and I were visiting.  They dared me to break in, stay for a night and leave without being seen."  Jack smiled.  Thor and Loki shrunk down in their chairs out of fear of being yelled at by Santa for making their brother brake into his work shop. 

"I wondered how you got in!"  North laughed.  "One minute you weren't there the next you were!"

Jack laughed.  He too was expecting North to be angry.  The group went back to talking about defenses and Jack shifted back into a wolf.  He made his way down the rafter beam towards the globe.  There was still no sign of Pitch.  The white wolf reached the end of the beam.  He was within jumping distance to the Globe of Belief.  Jack took a running start at it just in case and easily made it.  The wolf’s claws scraped on the side of North America.  Jack pulled himself up to where he could stand on top of the globe.  He was very careful not to step on any of the lights.