Chapter Five

Paige-

"The word is... plain." Brooke said, setting down a green 'Apples to Apples' card. It was currently Friday night, and me, Josh, Brooke, and my mom were all currently sitting in the living room while playing Apples to Apples. Because mom was usually busy with work, we all tried to do something together once a week, like have a movie marathon or play a game.

I looked through the 7 cards in my hand, slapping down a Bob Marley card. I smiled and set my cards, down waiting for Josh and Mom to put their cards down.

Brooke hummed the Jeopardy theme song as she waited. Josh and Mom sat down their cards and Brooke mixed them up before picking them up.

"Clowns?" Brooke giggled and sat the card down. "A piece of paper and..." She sat down the other card. "Bob Marley."

Brooke giggled and pushed my card forward. "Bob Marley wins!"

Mom's jaw dropped. "What?! How does Bob Marley win over a piece of paper?!"

"Hey, rules are rules!" I giggled, taking the green card from the pile. We all laughed as my phone began to buzz.

"One second, I gotta take this.." I sighed, looking at the contact name. I headed into the kitchen and shut the door as I jumped up on the counter.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hi!" Chloe's chirpy voice piped.

"Um, hi. Does Mr. Tabith need us?" I sighed.

"What? Why would he need us?" Chloe giggled. "It's 7:30!"

I smiled. "I don't know. I didn't know if he worked late or something."

"He doesn't. But anyways, I was wondering if you wanted to come over."

"Come over? When?" I asked.

"Right now!" She laughed again. I felt my cheeks growing warm and I was glad she couldn't see me, because I felt really embarrassed about how I was asking all these obvious questions.

"Oh... I don't know. Like you said, it's 7:30. It's pretty late."

"7:30?! It's Friday night! Come on, please? If you can't drive, I can just come pick you up," she explained.

I sighed. "Fine. Can you be here in like, 30 minutes?" I asked.

"Yep! Just text me your address and I'll be there," she said.

"Okay. Bye!" I hung up the phone and quickly texted Chloe my address.

I walked back into the living room, where Brooke was trying to clean up the cards as Josh picked them up out of the box and threw them at her. Mom was sitting on the couch behind them, watching some show with screaming women. Probably Housewives.

"Hey... Can I go over to my friend's house?" I asked hopefully. My mom was usually pretty cool about letting us go places, but I still wanted to ask her just incase she didn't want me going anywhere or freaked out because I left without telling her.

Mom looked up at me. "Who's this friend?" She asked.

I bit my lip. "You know Chloe, right? The girl who I've been hanging out with Mr. Tabith?"

Mom nodded. "Blonde hair and skinny, right?" She asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, her. I'm pretty sure we're not going anywhere, so you don't have to worry about me partying or drinking," I joked.

"It's fine. But if I hear that you did anything that involves drinking, drugs, or you kissing boys I've never heard of, you will be not be modeling for 3 months," she warned.