You're Not Alone

It was near Halloween and Hermione was walking down the hall, she'd heard one of those boys, Ron she thought, talking rudely about her. She pushed past him, running to a bathroom that was in the dungeons. She stood, looking at herself in the mirror and thinking that possibly, possibly he was right. She was a know it all, she wouldn't get any friends like that, when suddenly something burst through the doors, and she screamed. A massive troll stood there, snarling. Its slimy green face and foul odor penetrated the room. It began to smash the stall doors with its club, before she heard a shout. By then she was pressed up the wall in agonizing fear, but she could just manage to see the flash of red hair, and knew who it was. Ron and Harry's battle with the troll was brief, and Harry began to pull Hermione away from the beast. Suddenly, they looked up and saw their professors rushing in.

"Oh! Oh, my goodness! E-Explain yourselves, both of you!" McGonagall exclaimed.

"Well, what it is..." both Ron and Harry stuttered over one another.

"It's my fault, Professor McGonagall." Hermione said quietly.

"Ms. Granger?" McGonagall looked shocked, and she was.

"I went looking for the troll. I'd read about them and thought I could handle it. But I was wrong. If Harry and Ron hadn't come and found me...I'd probably be dead." She quickly lied, hoping the three teachers would believe her.

"Be that as it may...it was an extremely foolish thing to do. I would have expected more rational behaviour on your part, Ms. Granger. 5 points will be taken from Gryffindor for your serious lack of judgment. As for you two gentlemen I just hope you realize how fortunate you are. Not many students could take on a full grown mountain troll and live to tell the tale. 5 points...will be awarded to each of you. For sheer dumb luck." With that. McGonagall and Snape left.

"Perhaps you ought to go...M-might wake up..." stuttered Professor Quirrell.

The three students nodded and went on their way. Upon reaching their common room, they all plopped down, ready to relax, before they were bombarded by questions. The three agreed to be friends, and once the crowd left them, they two boys went to bed. Hermione stayed, she sat on the couch and stared at the fire.

Minerva sat, reading essays her third years had done. The two Weasley boys had written things about the gods, and old Roman phrases. She sighed, ever since the two had figured it out they'd pestered her relentlessly. There were some days however, when they could be peaceful. Like today.

"Hullo professor." One of them said.

"May we come in?"

"Of course." She put the papers down. "Would you like some tea?"

"Tea would be lovely."

"Thank you,"

They were both speaking softly, and she appreciated that.

"We heard about what happened, with the Granger girl."

"We also know that you hate feeling powerless."

She looked at them, the genuine emotions on their faces and smiled.

"Thank you boys. I appreciate it. And you're right, if anything happens I'd feel responsible. I have the power to prevent these things."

Minerva would never usually confide in students like this, yet Fred and George had known since they were first years themselves. The three had grown a bond, and Minerva knew that if they'd been alive in a different time, they'd have been good friends.

The twins nodded, and for a while the three sat there in silence. Before long Minerva saw the time, and stood.

"I'm afraid you must go if you want to get back before it's too late." She said kindly.

The two boys nodded, and began to make their leave. As they walked out, one stopped, Fred, and he turned the her.

"It'll be alright professor. You're not alone."

And with that, the twins left, leaving Minerva alone to her thoughts.