Chapter 1: Lost in the Wolves

(It's been a while since I watched the show so some events might be mixed up time-wise)

The cold never agreed with you. Though, it was all you'd ever known, you knew in your blood you were meant for something different. Even if you never knew the exact reason why, you knew you could never belong here. Not in Winterfell. Sometimes you thought maybe not anywhere in the world.

Though you never cared for politics they sure did have a cruel way of controlling your life. Before you were ever born your destiny was decided. Your father, a son of the mad kings brother was a Targaryen. Your mother was a lady of Dorne. You had fire in your blood. Blonde in your hair. It was obvious what you were.

The only reason you can thank the gods for your existence was your father, a skilled swordsman, swearing allegiance to Robert Baratheon early on in the rebellion. Once the mad king was murdered by Jaime Lannister Robert allowed your father to live. Even though he hated the Targaryens your father was only a bastard. Who could never claim the iron throne. You were told Cersei demanded your fathers head. To assure no future rebellions threaten their reign. She would get her wish many years later.

Your father was sent to Dorne and given a wife and a small castle on the beach for his services. You were born years after the rebellion. Always being told your mother had trouble conceiving. Many cruel kids told you it was because of how unclean your fathers genes were. How unclean you were. Your father took a Dornish name. But, after his death the monster known as Queen Cersei gave you a bastard name.

You hated sand. Though, you don't remember how it felt. The name left a bitter taste in your tongue. Even after you were sent north to live with the Starks it was still used to insult you.

Ned. The kind and honorable man he was, felt pity for you. He hated how Robert treated the Targaryens. When your father was killed and your mother abandoned you he ordered the Karstarks to take you in. And, then your destiny was set. You were forever a southern bastard of a mad king on northern soil.

Though you were not a Stark they were the closest thing you could consider a family. Bran and Arya were your only true friends. And, they proved to be helpful people to be friends with. Even though other kids would tease you they never did so when a stark was around.

At 7 you had a crush on Robb and Jon. Jon taught you how to survive in the north as a bastard. Robb. Well, Robb was just handsome. You never spoke to him much. Sansa was kind to you, but, you were too wild for her likings. Arya was closer to you in age and in spirit. She let you ride her horse and shoot her bow, when no one was watching of course.

Little Bran, or, Little Lord as they liked to call him seemed to look at you the way you looked at Jon and Robb.  He tried to impress you with almost everything he did. Riding, shooting a bow, and swinging a sword, which he was never big enough to achieve. Though, with Aryas teaching you were better than him at almost everything. That is, until he showed you how to climb.

At first you were scared. Bran never seemed to be scared. He loved climbing the walls and trees of Winterfell. With every passing day you began to love it too. And, even as children he was so patient and caring when it came to your fears. That really helped you overcome them.

You often wondered if you had been climbing that day would he have fallen?

After that day everything changed. You were too young to fully understand. Ned, Sansa, and Arya had already left you. Then you lost Bran for a while. Robb left to go fight a war you didn't understand. Jon left for a wall off ice Bran always claimed he would climb one day. Rickon was sad a lot at first. Then he didn't talk much. It was sad to see a child lose himself so early.

When Bran awoke he was different. He spoke of dying. Without the use of his legs he could never be a knight. You remembered him always talking about wearing armor and riding a horse to battle, and all the honor that came with knighthood. You envied him then. You had wanted to dream of that honor. If only you had not been a girl. Now, being a cripple, Bran could better understand the lack of honor that comes with being different.

Theon had betrayed the north that fall. You saw Maester Lumin die before you. You, Bran, Rickon and Summer left with a wildling and Hodor. Though winterfell was never your home, it was the closest thing you had gotten to one. Now even that was gone.

The bitter cold of the North had always depressed you. Even though the Northern man told you it was only summer. You had told yourself, at the age of only seven, that if winter were to come then you would rather die.

Now, you were headed even more north.
Winter is truly Coming.