Chapter 4: A Fall From Grace

Bran watched himself run through the forest following the call of a raven. Then same three eyed raven he had seen in a vision back at Winterfell. Bran wished so badly to know the secret of the bird. Though, sometimes he had hoped he'd never find it. That was he could continue to run around with his legs. Forever searching. Forever running.

"You have to go after him." Jojen said. Bran looked over the other boy, wondering how he looked so real.

"How?" Bran Asks.

"You know how." Jojen assures him. Bran didn't know how, though. Not until Jojens eyes traced from the bottom of the tree trunk all the way to the very time.

Bran must climb. Bran had horrible anxiety attacks at the thought of ever climbing. He loved the feel of the ground now, a love he had never appreciated before. Bran used to feel so brave and fearless, now, he was broken. It felt so lonely to be broken.

Slowly his feet guide him to the tree trunk. He looks back at Jojen one more time as the boy gave him a nod. As if telling him it was okay. The opposite of what Brans mother would say. Bran wished he had listened to her.

Brandons little arms lifted him branch to branch. As he climbed he had heard the bird chirp louder and louder. Finally Bran reached the near top and the bird faced its deformed face at the little man. Bran began making his way towards the creature before he was pulled back by his shoulder.

"Bran!" Gasped a terrified Catelyn. Brans eyes widened as he looked back at her. "How many times have I told you no climbing!"

"M-mother" Bran let out softly "I have to find it! I have to get it!"

"Promise me!"

"I have to get him mother!"

"Promise me!"

"Moth-" Bran desperately tried to hold on to her as he felt himself fall back. He felt his body slip from the branch as he yelled out for his mother one last time. Bran felt helpless in that moment. He braced himself for an impact that never came.

Bran awoke in a panic in the same spot he had fallen asleep the night before. He looked down to see you just now waking up from his commotion. You had held him all night. Even though it was meant for warmth your touch had comforted Bran through his nightmares.

"I'm sorry." Bran apologized "I saw another vision." Before you had a chance to respond Jojen speaks up.

"Did you see the raven?"

"Aye." Bran confirmed "I almost got it, but..."

"But then what?" You asked confused.

"I fell." Brans voice was meek as he told you. He had wished you wouldn't have asked. Everyone else fell into an awkward silence afterwards.

Jojen would often try and tell Bran about visions and what the meant. He tried to guide him in the right direction. Bran appreciated that. What Bran didn't appreciate was how Jojen would turn and talk to you in between lessons. Jojen often got close to you, and you never seemed to back away. You invited it. Bran had to watch it all happen as Hodor dragged him along.

"If you hate Winterfell so much, why don't you come back to The Neck with me and Meera when this is all over?" Jojen asks you. You look at him in disbelief.

"What is there for me in The Neck?" You ask confused.

"Less snow." Jojen laughs.

"The Bolton's have Winterfell now." You say softly. "And, Bran and Rickon will remain up north for now."

"You're always welcomed at The Neck. We'll keep you nice and warm there." Jojen smiles. Bran had wished he could scream at the top of his lungs for you to not to go. Bran wasn't sure what life would be like without you, especially now. He really looked forward to the night. So you could hold him. Every night Bran didn't have a vision he had dreamt of you. Everyday he had watched you. Besides the Three Eyed Raven Bran wished for nothing more than to have you.

But, Bran couldn't give you warmth in The North. He couldn't find you a family, or a destiny. He couldn't make you happy no matter how bad he wanted to. He could only watch you be sad. Watch you wish you had something that you've never had.

He wished he was not important. That he wasn't a Lord and he wasn't having these vision. If Bran could he'd ride south with you and find what you've always been missing. He'd abandon this journey to feel the warmth you give him at night all the time. He wished Jojen and Meera wasn't here. Not Osha, not even Hodor. He wished it was just you and him.

When the sun began to fall you all found a small abandoned house right outside the next bunch of woods. As you all settled in Bran was placed down in the corner. Rickon quickly ran over to hold him for warmth. Bran watched as you continued to talk to Jojen. He waited for you. His eyes never left your body as he saw you lean down against the wall next to Jojen. And, his heart sank as the blonde boy moved himself closer to you. Wrapping his arm around your waist.

You never did come to hold Bran that night. Or the next couple of nights after that. Bran tried to listen to Jojen as Jojen continued to tell Bran how important his visions were. But, the only vision etched into Brans memory was that of Jojen holding you. Bran wished he never had visions again.