Chapter 3: A Dragon in Snow

"I miss home." A sleepy Rickon cried. He was falling behind the rest of the group the further you walked. "I want to go back."

"There is no home to go back to, little one." Osha reminded him. Rickon only pouted more.

"I'm tired." He whined. You stopped and turned to face him. The rest of the group followed suit. "And hungry."

"Why don't we stop for the night?" You suggested as you looked up at the darkening sky. No one argued or stopped you as you set down your stuff. Hodor set Bran against a tree as you as Jojen lit a fire.

As the sun bet further the harsh winter cold became only harsher. Rickon snuggled up to Bran to keep warm. You headed over the brothers and pressed yourself up to Bran. He leaned into you causing a small whine from Rickon.

"Aye stop your whining boy." Osha ordered "come over here if yer cold. Leave the little lovers alone." Brans cheeks blushed bright pink.

"We're not lovers." You correct her. "He's like a brother to me." Bran looked down at his lap.

"Just like how that bastard Jon Snow is yer brother? The one yer always on about." She laughs.

"I didn't take you for a Lannister." Jojen joined in. Everyone laughed besides you and Bran.

"Don't listen to them." You whisper to Bran.

"I don't mind." Bran said softly. You studied his face for a moment. For once you had saw the sadness you often felt in another person. In that moment you felt slightly less alone.

"Stop your whispering." Jojen yelled "or at least go deeper in the forest for all that love talk."

"Alright all of you stop it." Meera sighs heavily. "I'm sorry for my brother."

"Hodor." Hodor says happily.

"Does anyone know any songs to brighten the mood?" Asks Jojen.

"No."

"Not me."

"Hodor."

"Absolutely not." You add. Jojen smiles widely.

"You look like you'd be a lovely singer, ___." Jojen says "I'll have to teach you some of the songs my father used to sing to me and Meera."

"Yeah maybe when we all go back down south." You huff.

"I'm surprised a Lady like you doesn't sing." Jojen comments. Everyone grows silent.

"I'm a bastard." You correct "not a lady."

"You look like a Lady to me."

"Stop flirting." Meera says as she nudges her brothers shoulder harshly.

"Aye, I can't believe I'm stuck here with a bunch of children." Osha huffs.

"Hodor." Hodor agrees.

"Say, ___." Jojen says ignoring everyone "you're a Targaryen, right? That's what fath-"

"Don't ever say that." Bran interrupts before you had the chance to "___ could get in a lot of trouble if someone heard you call her that."

"Who's listening?" Jojen asks.

"Just don't say that." You agree with Bran "my name has been denounced. I am a bastard. That's all I am." Brans looks over to you. He had wished you were not called a Bastard. Sometimes he felt as though it hurt him more hearing you called that then it did you. It was neither yours or Jon's fault what you two were. If anything, Bran thought of himself as more of a bastard. After being crippled you and Jon were more worthy of a strong name than he was. In fact, his name was the only reason why he was alive.

The Great Brandon Stark, the little lord, Bran, Bran the Broken. Titles he did not deserve, except maybe the latter.

"I was just wondering-" Jojen continues the conversation "how do you survive the north with your ancestry? I notice you are quite miserable most of the time. The cold isn't too welcoming to you."

"Jojen!" Meera gasps hitting his arm.

"I mean no offense!" Jojen clarifies.

"I take none." You assure him "and, you are right. The cold is very unforgiving. Even back at Winterfell."

"I bet you dream of home a lot. I know I have been." Jojen' looked into the fire. He seemed entranced by it. You hesitate before speaking.

"Where is home exactly?" You ask him. "I Don't have one."

"The north is your home." Bran insists, confused by your answer. His words were coated in hurt.

"Winterfell is your home, little lord." Osha corrects him. "The girl is a bastard. The only home for a bastard is beyond the wall where names don't mean shit."

"Beyond the wall would never be my home." You stop her "the North will never be my home."

"Why not?" Asks Rickon.

"I hate the cold." You say "I hate the snow, the winter, I don't belong here."

Bran wished he could argue, but who was he to tell you where your home was? If that is how you felt then Bran would have to accept it, even if it hurt him. Though, after that night Bran had thought about all the times he had seen you weeping at Winterfell. Seemingly for no reasons most of the time. He had always created reasons in his head. Maybe someone had called you a bastard, maybe you had wished Jon and Robb gave you more attention, or maybe it was something he just couldn't understand as he was too young.

Bran felt older after that moment. He had realized that to you, Winterfell was not home. You had not grown up with a Lord father, being called a Lord yourself, and being told you were destined for great things. For the first time Bran had really realized that you probably had that piece missing from you. Your home, your family, your identity was not given to you. It was up to you to find it. But, instead you were running further north away from it. All because if him.

That was the first day Bran ever really thought about something other than himself. He didn't want you to leave as it would hurt him. But, he didn't want you to stay because it was hurting you.