Chapter 15- A Flip of a Coin

You had requested your bath to be hotter than usual tonight. The handmaiden tried to convince you to wait for it to cool before you bathed, but you didn't listen. All the months in the freezing lands beyond the wall had left you with a hunger for the heat. As you lowered yourself in you let out a breathy sigh of relief.

"You may leave now." You told the handmaiden once you were engulfed in the burning water.

"But, my lady-" She began.

"I'm not your lady." You correct her "now, you may leave." She hesitates for a moment, but then nods softly and turns herself towards the door. You looked away as she exits and wait to hear the door shut before you close your eyes and enjoy the warmth of the water alone.

No matter how hard you tried for forget, Littlefinger's words never left your thought. Marriage, heirs, ruling the north; It all seemed like such foreign ideas to you. Though, it was all so obtainable. It would be crazy for you not to try, right? Possibly, but, none of those things ever tempted you. You didn't want to be a Queen. The thought of ruling a kingdom never crossed your mind, even though it was in your blood.

What wasn't in your blood was the North. Maybe that's why it all felt so wrong to you. You didn't belong here, not even now. So, how could You've expected to rule it? A land you don't even love. With a man, who you don't even truly know anymore.

With every passing moment your mood grew more somber. The more you tried to make sense of it all the less it made any sense to you. You're just a bastard. A forgotten name. You're not a noble or a ruler. Everyone around you made sure you knew that your whole life. You are nothing, not here, and not anywhere. That's why you've always wanted to leave, but also why you never did.

You reach behind you and grab the wet clothe next to your bath. Softly you scrub away at your own skin. Only ladies had others bathe them. You did not want to be bathed. There was no need for someone to assist you now, you had been doing everything for yourself all your life. You didn't need any help.

You had not realized a tear fell from your eye until it had hit the water surrounding you. Then, another, and even more followed those. Before you knew it a stream of tears fell from your eyes to your bath. You let out a loud gasp for air. Then whined as you held yourself. You didn't need someone else to hold you. You could do that alone also.

Everything seemed so pointless now. Leaving Winterfell, going beyond the wall, watching your friends die in front of you, losing yourself, and all for what? So Bran could find his destiny? Just so you could end up exactly where you started? Was all this just for visions and prophecy? Maybe you do live through the second Long Night, but then what? War and chaos will continue to thrive all around you. Even if you did live, you'd still be surrounded by cooling water, holding yourself as you cried.

"___." A soft voice called from behind the door. You stopped your crying, but did not answer. "It's Sansa."

"I'm bathing." You answer, trying to cover your muffled cries the best you could, but you were sure she had heard it.

"Your handmaiden came to me and told me you wished to be alone." Sansa continues "I hope nothing is wrong." You wanted to tell her you didn't have a handmaiden, it was her handmaiden. Nothing has changed since you left before. You were still a bastard, and not worthy of servants. But, this wasn't an argument you were willing to have in this moment.

"I'm just not feeling well is all." You assure her.

"Please cover yourself, I want to enter." Sansa says. You sigh heavily. Your face was red and swollen from the tears. There was no way you would allow her to see you like this.