Chapter 22: Dreams of a Dragon

As much as your heart would like to believe, you'd mind would never truly let you get your hopes up. How naive it would be for you to believe in such a thing. From the moment it left her lips you knew it had been a broken promise. It wouldn't be- no it couldn't be possible for her to have meant what she said.

A dragon. The thought of actually owning a dragon yourself had never crossed your mind. It's something you never knew you could even want. Something you could only fathom in a dream. Yet, here she was looking you in the eye, waiting for you to accept her gift.

I couldn't you wanted to say. But, would she think you were weak?

I shouldn't you try to speak, but if you did say that then she would know you had planned to betray her.

I want it. Is what your mouth was beginning to form. You want that dragon. You want that dream of riding around in an open desert, not a flake of snow in sight, to finally come true. What other way could that ever be possible? How else could you finally get your happiness?

But, then you think of Bran. His cold steel eyes looking back into yours, with small soft hint of warmth, the last he has left in him. His words echoed in your mind, telling you that he loves you. All the while saying he is someone else now. Something you could never fully understand. Leaving you in a constant state of confusion and uncertainty.

Then, you think of Winterfell. It's cold stone walls. The vast open fields of snow surrounding its barriers. Everyday the temperature falls, and will continue for years, even centuries from now. You think of your distaste for it all. How you feel like a privileged prisoner, living out the rest of your days in your cold damp dungeon. Being told what to do, what to say, who to say it to, and who to be.

You weren't ever allowed to be a Targaryen who can own a dragon. The taboo made you only crave it more. You weren't allowed to dream of an unknown land, because your whole life you were sure you'd never leave these cells. Here is your escape from here. Right in front of you.

Your heart began to pump with excitement. Small tears pool at the corners of your eyes. Daenerys meets your enthusiasm with her own. Her lips twist and turn as she waits for you to speak. You both know what you weren't going to say. There was no other way it could be done, and now was your moment to be free. Your lips opens and begins to mouth the words in your throat.

But, then you think of Bran.

And, your heart slows down. You let the flare in your eyes die as the tears fade away. She takes note of your hesitation. Her mouth falls to her chin. You stutter out a breath, but there was no point in speaking. She could see it in your eyes. The hopefulness you held. Passion and desire despite all of the unknowns and unanswered questions. She saw the faith you had. Though, she did not known in what. All she knew was you hadn't accepted her offer. Therefore, you've accepted her fire.

A thousand flames would have to do then. Because, as soon as you were able to walk away from the only thing you had ever wanted, you knew what you really needed. Not a childhood dream of escape. But, a childhood friend to accept reality. If you were to die in the next few days, whether it be from the cold, the dead, or sadness, it would all be done with purpose. It would have more meaning than wonder.

Your small feet glide through the heavy snow as you run through the castle doors. A confused Sansa turns to see your hustle past her. She raises a brow and calls out your name only to receive no reply. Though, you did not look scared or in danger. Her confused face turns back to her handmaiden that returned the same glance.