Chapter 12: Something Else

The snow around you ate away at your legs as you tried to run. Every step you took your body sank down into the fragile white ground. You heard the wighs following right behind you. Meera looked over while you run and you both shared a similar look. Then her eyes look behind at Brans motionless body that was holding you back as you tried to escape. The thought she was having covered her face. You'd be lying if you said you hadn't thought it too in that small moment. But, you couldn't. You held onto the rope harder as you put all your thought back to running.

You couldn't abandon Bran even if he had told you he wanted you too. He was the reason you came all this way. Letting him go would make it all mean nothing. At least, that's what you told yourself was the reason why you couldn't let him go. Something in your heart had changed since you last spoke to him. You begun to see Bran in a way you had never considered before.

Air was getting harder to breath and your legs began to buckle as you ran. Meera missed a step and fell down into the snow. You attempted to help her up but she was too out of breath to stand once more.

"Leave me!" She demanded between heavy breaths. You shook your head no but the wights were closing in. Their frightening blue eyes bore into yours. In that moment you know it would all be over. Your hand grabbed Meeras as you both looked down. Meera began to repeat the prayer of the old gods under her breath.

Suddenly a horses gallop could be heard in the near distance. Your head shot over to see a cloaked figure riding a black horse. Meeras grip on your hand tightened as the man approached. You saw him swimming a lantern with fire, and as he passed he swung it at the wights following you. Once he took them all out he turned his horse around and returned to your side.

The man pulled his cloak back and revealed haunting blue eyes and pale gray skin. He had looked half head himself, but you attributed his appearance to frostbite. Slowly you rose to your feet but did not break eye contact with the strange man. It had felt like ages before he spoke.

"Come with me." The man demanded "Before they return."

"Where will we go?" You ask.

"Anywheres better than here. The Night King is approaching, we must leave now." His gaze shifts to the sleeping Bran in the snow. "Put him in the horse, now."

Without hesitation you rush over to Bran and pull him over your shoulder. The cloaked man helps you place him on the horse before you turn to Meera to help her up. She was obviously exhausted and weak. The journey beyond the wall had taken a toll on you both, and you weren't sure how much longer you'd all make it up here. With your help Meera got on the back of the horse as you climbed between her and Bran. You tried your best to steady the young boy in place as you all rode off into the dawn.

After what seemed like hours you could finally see the top of The Wall approaching in the distance. Your heart pumped violently in your chest in anticipation. Since it was daytime you couldn't use the stars to see where you were going, but, now you knew you would be home soon. Wherever home may be.

You hear a loud gasp come from ahead of you. You feel Brans chest inhale heavily as he awakes from his vision. The cloaked man begins to slow his horse down and veers off to the side next to a Weirwood tree. You hold onto Bran tighter as the older man hops down from his horse. He holds out his hands waiting for you to give Bran to him. You hesitate for a slightly second, but then give in. The man takes him and places him on the ground next to the tree.

Bran looks confused at first as he tried to catch his breath. You help Meera down and you all approach the boy. His eyes shoot back and forth from yours and then to the strange man. Bran looked at him in a familiar way.

"Uncle Benjen?" Bran asks breathlessly "w-what are you doing here? What happened to you?" Your eyes widen at the realization of who the man that saved you was. You had my recognized him since the last time you saw him. His skin and eyes were discolored. He hadn't even attempted to speak with you like the Uncle Benjen you knew. But, when you looked again, even harder this time, it was impossible to deny it.

"Bran." Benjen greets the boy "you must have these girls take you beyond the wall, it is not safe here."

"Why won't you come with us?" You ask him. Benjen looks over at you intensely.

"Do you see me?" He questions "do you see what I've become?"

"What happened?" Asked Bran.

"I almost died." Benjen states the obvious "but, the children of the forest saved me, using the same magic they used to create the White Walkers. I am now one of them, at least, partly. The ancient spells placed in the wall will not allow me to pass like this."

"We can't just leave you here." You protest. "You'll die!" Benjen laughs quietly.

"As long as I can still control my own actions, I will fight for the living. Though, I am something else now." Benjen explains "save yourselves, you are but smaller pieces in this puzzle. And, you're still needed."

You had wondered in what world could you be needed more than Benjen. You, Bran, and Meera. Just two girls and a cripple, crossing the wall into a war ridden place, filled with people who hate the Starks, and the Targaryens.

You look down at Brans fragile body, and he looks back up at you. For a moment it seemed as if Bran wasn't really in there. Like the stare he was giving you was empty, and meaningless. He hadn't seemed scared or sad, he just was not there. You sift your gaze as you grow uncomfortable. Hoping you hadn't just lost another person along the way.