Chapter 13: All That Ever Was

"Open the gate!" You heard the first Nights Man yell as you approached The Wall. The gate began to rumble as it was lifted and you saw the bodies of other Nightsmen walk out and make their way to you. They wore mean faces and looked at you as if you weren't human. A look You has grown used to over the years.

"What are you doing here?" Asked a man with dark black hair.

"We've brought Bran Stark, we want to take him to his brother, Jon." Meera said in a harsh tone. The nightsmen looked at her for a moment, then chuckled.

"And, how do we know you're not wildlings?" The same man asked "look at ya, you look like a wildling." He said as he pointed to Meera.

"Do I sound like a wildling to you?" You chimed in "and you don't look too much better yourself."

"You speak proper." The man noted "like a lady."

"Yes, well, I'm not a lady, but I'm no wildling either." You correct him.

"And, how do I know that's Jon's brother?" Asked the man.

"Take us to him and you will see." You tell him.

"Jon isn't here." Bran states apathetically. You stare at him with a raised brow.

"How'd you know that?" The man asked what you were all thinking. Bran looks at him but does not answer. "Never mind then. Let's get you inside, then we'll talk."

It felt nice to finally have a decent shower, albeit a cold one. It had been months since you properly cleaned yourself off and any temperature was better than the freezing ice caps of the northern most part of the world.

You felt a little piece of your old self every time the fire next to your bath come close to touching your skin. You looked at it in a trans like state. The flames had called your name. Without you even realizing it you reached out and placed your hand in the pit of the fire. You left it there for longer than you usually allowed yourself. You didn't want the feeling to end. It had just felt right to be burning. But, you never let yourself get sucked in for too long. The feeling was so enjoyable it could become addicting. You sometimes fear that you'd get lost in the flames the more you allowed yourself to feel them.

Once you were dried off and clothed you opened your chamber door and stepped out to a dim musty hallway. You had remembered what room was Meeras and made your way towards it. When you knocked on the door there was a silence. You knocked again and heard a soft mumble, but couldn't understand what was said.

"It's me." You announce. There was a moment of silence before she responded.

"What is it?"

You hesitated before answering "I wanted to see you. May I come in?"

"Come." She said softly. You do as she said and opened the latch to her room. The first thing you see was her small body wrapped up in covers and her head buried in a pillow. You laughed softly.

"Tired?" You asked.

"No." She said sourly.

"Then why are you lying there? It's the middle of the day." You spoke. Meera didn't answer. "Is something wrong?" She lifts her head up when you ask her the question. Her eyes were piercing red and puffy and it looked as though you had offended her.

"Is something wrong?" She repeats back to you harshly "do you remember them? Summer? Hodor? My brother? Do you remember where they are right now?" You take a small step back.

"Of course I do." You assure her "it haunts me."

"Do you remember what you went through? How you almost died?" Tears streamed down her face as her voice grew louder. "I saw you looking over cliffs we would pass, just looking at the bottom! What were you thinking then? Did you want to jump? Did you wanna end it all? I saw you looking, ___! For what? What was this all for? Why didn't you do it? What's the meaning of this all?"